TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

2008 Dodge Avenger: bolt..Unhooked battery..sluggish..rough

Customer Question

2008 Dodge Avenger lightning bolt came on while driving then engine went into "limp mode". Unhooked battery and reset computer. Engine is very sluggish and running very rough when it goes into "limp mode". Seems to be triggered by loosing traction in snow.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

TIM :

HELLO, what engine size do we have?

JACUSTOMER-4f2pziqx- :

4cyl 2.4liter

TIM :

sorry for the delay -- cycle the ignition key on and off three times-- third time leave in the run position and look at odometer display and record the fault code that will be displayed--post it here -- at no time when doing this do we start the car

JACUSTOMER-4f2pziqx- :

I tried that before and it did nothing...I held down the odometer reset and it gave some random numbers but they weren't a p____ code...

TIM :

inorder to correclty diagnose -- we will need the fault code -- if you live in an area with a parts store -- such as autozone or advance auto -- they will pull and read the codes for free

JACUSTOMER-4f2pziqx- :

I tried scanning it lastnight and it said link error...I will try scanning it with a different scanner at lunch and hopefully will come up with something. Otherwise, I am thinking the obd port thing might have issues.

TIM :

possible -- but even if the obd port is inop -- that would not cause this concern -- let me know what you get?tim

JACUSTOMER-4f2pziqx- :

tried the 2nd scanner...still nothing. It read link error also. It is stuck in limp mode so I am unable to drive it to a parts store to try and have them pull them. My car has a Pass Time system installed on it due to it being purchased through a "note lot" could this be causing any of the issues with the port not working or other electrical issues?? Feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack :(