brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

my truck will start but not run if i let..dead battery..jump

my truck will start but not run if i let off the gas. it's been sitting for several days with a dead battery. i got a jump but it wouldn't continue to run. it's 11 degrees and has been snowing/icy for three days.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question. When was the last time the plugs were replaced? Throttle body cleaned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i don't have any idea. it's my son's truck; he got it about 4 months ago

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
What your describing can be caused by worn spark plugs, a restricted throttle body (needs cleaned with throttle body cleaner) or a bad battery (make sure all the way charged up or if weak replace it) These are the items I suggest you check/replace to correct the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since the battery died and sat for a few days do you think that might be it? how do i charge it if it won't run without the gas pedal being pushed?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
You will either need to charge it with a battery charger or have another vehicle with jumper cables hooked to it for a while. This is the first thing I would do as most likely the problem based on the description you gave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
why would this happen? I never had a vehicle not run after having a dead battery. is it because of the cold weather?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Yes the cold weather makes it worse. What is happening is the battery is so dead when you get it started the battery is taking all the amperage from the alternator and not enough left to keep the engine going
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i just drive it and not let off the gas to get it to recharge?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Normally wont run good enough to do this.......but if you can keep it running then yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
for how long? i don't have another vehicle to get a charge from and i really need to get somewhere. i'm not near any auto parts stores either so i can't just go buy a battery.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
It will depend on how dead the battery is and if it will charge up as many times when a battery goes dead it wont charge back up. I would guess between 30 to 60 minutes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm sorry, i don't understand the last part of the first sentence "f it will charge up as many times when a battery goes dead it wont charge back up."
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
What I'm saying is the battery may need replaced. Many times after a battery goes dead even when charging it the battery wont hold a charge and will need to be replaced
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok. this is the first time it's been dead (my son said the interior lights were left on and it didn't occur to him that was a problem...) any way, thanks so much for all your help. i do appreciate it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
No worries.......good luck