brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Dodge Stratus R/T Timing belt broke while car was driving

Customer Question

Timing belt broke while car was driving replaced it car runs rough when idles what are you reccommendations been told no bent valves or pistons would it run if there was even if they where slightly bent would a tune up fix it runs fine when driving just rough when idling sometimes stalls out
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Has there been a compression test or leak down test done and if so what were the readings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not that im aware of didnt charge me for one
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Did the vehicle run good prior to the belt breaking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Then most likely either the timing belt is not installed correctly or there is some damage due to the belt breaking. You will need to do a compression test and/or a leak down test to determine what the problem is
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what kind of damage could there be whats worst case scenario or could further damage occur from driving like this
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Valves could be bent and doubt if anything more than that due to the fact of how it runs. With the vehicle not running correctly can cause damage to the oxygen sensors and the catalytic converter if not repaired.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was going about 50 when it broke car completely shut down lost 2 qts of oil no leaks from what i checked after i had the belt replaced it would still run with valves bent ive also been told one corner of the mount is broke
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Just depends on how much damage there is but yes can still run. You need to double check the timing and do a compression test and leak down test and then you will find the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no they didnt run the test
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
OK....then this is what will need to be done to find the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
alright ive been told i do have some pistons and valves knocking and the head does need to be replaced how long if probably not should i let this go its a expensive thing to fix is it worth it in your opinion
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
What is the engine size in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2.4
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
To replace the cylinder head is around 11 hours, but normally can replace the valves and the head is ok. Either way an expensive repair from $1,500.00 and up depending on the amount of damage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is it worth it good car until this happenned only 107000 miles gave me no warning on belt
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
It is worth fixing if everything else on the car is good. If it needs brakes, tires, or has transmission problems etc. then may not be. It is an expensive repair but if not fixed the car is not really worth anything and more expensive to replace it than to fix it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how long can i run it until fixing it if no freeway driving my durango is getting fixed with a abs and brake light sensor wonder what thats all about hope it just a speed sensor need a car till i get that back to get to work
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
If the check engine light is not coming on then should be able to run it, but still suggest getting it checked as soon as possible
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that will warn me brfore it does further damage like sensors or converter
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Yes as long as the light is not on there should not be an issue with damage to the sensors or converter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now the stalling they say it shouldnt be doing that
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
It will all be related to the engine problem. Once that is repaired the stalling will be fixed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so at least 1500 for repairs no cheaper
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Cheaper if using parts from a salvage yard but other than that correct no cheaper
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you fix it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Depends......If your asking if I can do the work for you it depends on where your located?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Florida
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Then no as you are worlds away from me as I'm in Colorado.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Answer came too late? Which one of the 15?