jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service

2000 dodge Durango: 4x4 and the four wheel drive..shifter..freely

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge Durango 4x4 and the four wheel drive shifter is moving freely, I heard that this is some kind of washer, is there some more information you can provide? Is it hard to fix, live in N. Va and need four wheel drive for the snow. Got stuck last week for 5 hours because of this.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Dodge question.

Yes it can just be the grommet that holds the linkage on. I can send a picture if you want, once I get to work.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this something I should do at my local dodge dealer or would anyone be able to fix? If it is the grommet and only the grommet do you know if that is very expensive to repair? Not looking to spend more than $300 on repair.
I would buy the grommet at the dealer; anyone can install it. it should cost no more than 5 dollars.( if that is the problem; have someone crawl under to see if the linkage did pop out)