quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler
17227360

dodge Durango: 2003 4.7 and am..oil pump..service manual..pin..tool

I have a dodge Durango 2003 4.7 and am in the process of changing the oil pump. Reading the service manual I see I need a few tools, 8514 to collapse /pin and 8515 it also calls for tool 6958 with adapter Pins 8346 are these something I need to buy or are they available to rent someplace? I checked a few local parts stores and they did not rent them. As I look at the disassemble instructions I am not sure why I have to “break” the chain in the first place, don’t have to remove both OHC gears anyway? If I remove them the gears wont I be able to remove the chain without breaking the links? Is there a better way to replace the oil pump or alternative tools?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.

quickcar :

hello and welcome to just answer

quickcar :

you do not need to break the chain to remove

quickcar :

im getting you some info from the manual itll be just a second.

quickcar :

ok tool 8514 is for the secondary timing chain tensioners all it does is hold the tensioner in the collapsed position, there is a release on the tensioner that you push to one side and use a vise to collapse the tensioner till you can insert the 8514 into the hole to hold the tensioner in posisition when it is released from the vise

quickcar :

heres a picture

Full Size Image

quickcar :

8515 is for holding the chains to the idler sprocket,all of this by the way is needed for installation. here is a picture of the 8515 tool

Full Size Image

quickcar :

and 6958 with pins 8346 is used to hold the camshaft sprockets in place so that you can torque the camshaft sprocket bolts. unfortuately the only place youll find these is at a dealer. you may be able to purchase them at the dealer or if your good friends with the manager he may let you borrow or rent them.

Customer:

ok so the 8514 are just pins that i put in to hold the tensioner in the retracted position so the chain is loose enough to pul it out

quickcar :

that is partially correct

quickcar :

it is used once the tensioners and chain are already removed so that you can reinstall the chains with the tensioner in the retracted position

Customer:

ok, i think i can make the pins if i cant find them, the 6958 and 8346 tools i should be able to rig up if that is all it is doing is holding the gear from turning, i think i can make a tool to do that, the big one it the 8515 a guess

quickcar :

yes 8515 is a VERY important tool because you have to line up the secondary chain links through the windows of the idler sprocket and then 8515 locks onto the sprocket to hold the chains in place.

Customer:

ok, any other issues i should look for when replacing the oil pump?

quickcar :

i also dont know what all you are replacing but if this is your vehicle depending on the mileage i would recommend replaceing the timing chain set while your in there

Customer:

just the oil pump for now i will check the timing chain as well

quickcar :

id also recommend the water pump too , i have also run into water pump issues on the 4.7 as well.

quickcar :

no problem, sometimes its just good preventative measure to replace the timing chain set due to the amount of work involved to get to it is all.

Customer:

i am just looking at pulling the front drive shaft,, that looks like fun.... just to pull the pan!

quickcar :

yeah on 4X4 vehicles you have to remove the front axle or at least drop it out of the way. they pack things in there tightly. it makes things very interesting.

Customer:

When i pull the front axle,... i will ask a new question you answered the org question.

quickcar :

ok no problem, be sure to request me when you do

Customer:

thanks

quickcar :

thank you

quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+ years chrysler