Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

97 Dodge Ram 1500: 5.9l..Heat is not blowing hot. maybe luke warm

Customer Question

97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l. Heat is not blowing hot. Maybe luke warm at the most. Am gonna replace the thermostat and see if it helps. Blower motor is working fine. I cant hear the air flap closing or opening unless I switch from the dash vents to the defrost. Both hoses running to the heater core are hot. No fluids leaking onto carpet, no smell or smoke coming from the vents inside truck. I dont know what else to try other than the thermostat. Thanks for reading this and for any help you might be able to provide.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process, thanks.

If your blend doors are working correctly as you indicate it leaves two possibilities, one is low coolant and air is accumulating in the heater core as it is a high point. Usually if this is the cause it will get better if you are driving as the coolant will circulate better.

The other cause will be the heater core getting plugged up so that the capacity is greatly reduced. The coolant will still flow though but the core is essentially smaller. If you turn the blower off for a couple minutes and then turn it back on it should feel hot for at least a few seconds. You can try removing both heater core hoses and flushing the heater core in both directions. If this does not work you would need to replace the heater core which requires removing the dash.