Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

2006 ram 2500: cummins..charging system, check engine light came

Customer Question

dealer wants to reflash computer on my 2006 ram 2500 with cummins to upgrade charging system, check engine light came on to prompt visit to dealer on cold morning start, batteries about 5 yrs old, installed new batteries today, is this upgrade needed at a cost of 290 bucks? this truck spent all its life in florida now is nh, cold was not an issue till now
thanks Carl
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

Re-flashing the computer takes less than 30 minutes to do.........a half hours labor...... so I have no idea how they are coming up with a $300 bill..........there must be something else included in their quote.

The Cummins engine has seen a number of computer software upgrades so it is always best to keep the software up to date because the updates are designed to fix a variety of prolems that might develop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
new to this site, dealer stated 2 parts of flash, how much should thiscost, 290 is high for half hr work
thanks carl
The absolute max that a re-flash should cost is one hours labor. If the dealer labor rate is $100.....or $120 per hour......then you should be paying that amount.

$290 is just plain wrong, unless there is some diagnostic fee on top of what they have quoted you.