the expert
the expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master certified 16years

Dodge Dakota I cant figure out how to remove the fan clutch

I can't figure out how to remove the fan clutch from the water pump on a 1996 Dodge dakota with a 3.9 L V6.

hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can help you. the fan clutch is connected to the water pump by a big nut on the fan that threads onto a threaded hub on the water pump. you have to loosed the the big nut just like any other bolt. there are specialty tools to do this but you most likely dont have those. another way to do this is to get a wrench that fits i believe it is 1 3/8 inch. place the wrench over the nut and smack the the other end of the wrench with a hammer it may take a few tries.also leave the belt on while doing this as the belt will help hold the pulley from spinning once the nut is broke loose you should be able to spin the fan by hand and unthread it the rest of the way.

please remember to click accept if satisfied