Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 Dodge Dakota: my ABS light and Brake light are on..brake pedal

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota and my ABS light and Brake light are on. This happened while i was driving and it seems as if my ABS is not working. It feels different when i apply the brake pedal. When i apply the brake pedal, i am not feeling the hydraulics working and it seems to push in farther until any brakes work. I checked the brake fluid and it was low, so i filled it back up, but it still does not seem to be functioning properly. What may be the cause of this? And what would you reccomend i do?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Do you know the code number in the computer?

Are the lights off now that you added fluid?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I do not
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No they did not turn off. It also does not appear that it did much help. If i pump the brakes while im parked, i can sometimes feel the hydraulics working, but when im driving it doesn not seem to be working all of the time. I also found it odd that i had to add that much fluid. It seems as if it might have been empty.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
So are you saying that sometimes the brake pedal feels low or spongy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am having to press the pedal in way farther than i normally would have to, and there is not any resistance at all until it hits the actual brakes itself. From what i understand, the ABS should kick in before it gets to the point where it reaches the pads or drums
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
It sounds to me like you just have a break fluid leak. Fill the reservoir up and pump the brake pedal. Look for any fluid leaks wear fluid is leaking from the brake lines, calipers or hoses. If you have rear drums brakes, then you might want to pull the drums to have a look.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. One last thing. I got my manual out for my truck and this is what it has to say about this. It says that my power assist is lost, or the symptoms that i am having would suggest that it is this. It says that those 2 lights will come on, and the effort required to brake the vehicle will be significantly increased compared to what it would be like with the power assist system operating properly. It then says that if either the front or rear hydraulic system loses normal capability, the remaining system will still function with some loss of braking effectiveness. This will be evident by increased pedal travel during application....

Those are exactly what my problems are. But it does not say what to do about it or how it may be corrected. Does that help you at all in determining what i can do to fix this?

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
THanks for the info.. but no.

If you lost power assist, your brake pedal will be extremely hard to push down.

IT sounds to me like it is the other way around. It sounds like your brake pedal is way to soft or too spongy.