Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

2000 Dodge Ram 1500: V..some shifting problems, so I..3rd gear..vacuum

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V-8, the transmission was having some shifting problems, so I changed the Filter and put 1 quart of the Jasper (I think that's the name) transmission lubricant in with the fluid. The transmission was still having trouble shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear, and it was having other vacuum problems (vents changing to default under acceleration), so I took it and had that "fixed". Now the vacuum problem is apparently fixed, but the transmission slips back into first gear when the slightest pressure is applied while going from a dead stop to normal speed. It will redline and change only when you remove your foot from the pedal. It also still has a hard time changing into overdrive.

FYI: I have also replaced the Throttle Positioning Sensor and the CPV valve, as well as the Distributor Cap, Rotor button, Plugs and wires.

What might be causing this? Do I need to just replace the transmission?

Scott F. [email protected]

Chris :

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Have you had the throttle pressure cable (aka kickdown cable) checked for proper adjustment? if there is not enough slack/freeplay in the cable then it will shift too late.

I haven't had that checked

Would that need to be done by a Dodge dealer?

Chris :

Then I would do that next. If it is adjusted ok, then the problem may be a sticking governor in the transmission. I don't think you need to replace the tranmission yet. Any good reputable auto repair shop can check and adjust the cable for a minimal fee.

Okay, sounds good. :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked with a local transmission shop that has a very good reputation and they told me that this model of Dodge transmission does not have a kick down cable. They also said that from my description, they think there is a 99% chance that a torque converter "gasket" has disenegrated and gone into the gearing, etc. They are recommending a full rebuild at a cost of $1,350 + fluids...

I don't think gasket is the proper terminology, but I don't recall exactly what he said it was.

What is your opinion on this?

They are wrong in saying that your truck does not have a "kick down cable" It is also known as the "throttle pressure cable". If you want, I can send you the procedure on how to adjust it. You can then print it out and show them. Now there may be something else going on, and they may be correct, but I think checking the cable adjustment should at least be checked first. Thank you for the accept!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I called my local Dodge Dealer where I bought the truck, they said that they will charge me $83 and give me a definite answer on exactly what the problem is... I'll let you know on Monday evening what the outcome is.
Sounds good let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Transmissioin shop told me today that 2nd gear is gone and the fluid is burnt pretty badly.

Ok, the kick down band (which engages 2nd gear) has become completely worn out. If you plan on keeping the truck for a few more years, then it would be worth it to have the shop rebuild or replace the transmission. Make sure they give you at least a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty. If they cannot do this, then consider having a Mopar re manufactured transmission. They come with a 3 year 36,000 warranty.

I hope this information has been helpful, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.