moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

Dodge ram 1500 4.7L Stalling off idle randomly

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4.7L which stalls and dies randomly right after startup (rpms stumble and throttle becomes unresponsive - it will drop the rmps so low it will die). It is not throwing any codes nor are there any in the history. If I floor the gas when it is stumbling it will pop the rpms up and go back tonormal for the remainder of the trip. The problem is intermittent. I changed the cam sensor and tps which didn't help.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA. Have you ever cleaned the throttle body?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah i took it off and ran a can of throttle body cleaner through it whihc didnt seem to help. the annoying part is that its is intermittant (might not happen for days - might happen twice a day)
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
If the throttle body is clean and there are no fault codes to go on I would have the dealer update the engine computer software to see if this will take care of your problem or have there co pilot hooked up to the system so it will record the problem when it happens to see what going on.