Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Master Technician
Experience:  Certified Ase Master, 23 years exp. Pa state and emissions lic. Specializing in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep
22395976

2004 Dodge Ram 3500: runs rough..stalls..000 miles..Engine oil is full

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Hard start, runs rough, stalls P0341, P0514, P02504. 140,000 miles on odo. Engine oil is full. Lift pump press is 12 psi.

We replaced the cam sensor and both batteries along with the fuel filter. The vehicle doesn't run any better but we now have no codes. I have worked on a few of these and mostly see a bad injector or two, mostly 5 and 6. I observed fuel press set and actual pressure and even when the set pressure is stable (5200 or so more when revved up) the actual jumps all over. The set pressure also varies intermittently. I removed one injector line at a time and plugged using the miller tool and saw no difference at all. If I remove the connector from the fuel press regulator the truck runs almost perfectly. I saw one TSB listing a ecm problem (P0341) but for an earlier build date. VIN is 3D7MU48C64G197890. Thanks for looking.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Stonyman replied 3 years ago.

Stonyman :

Hi. You a dodge tech? HAve you checked the fuel control actuator on the hpp. If you disconnect it and see if it will run and the fuel rail pressure should full field too(25kpsi), on the scanner. It sounds like you may have a bad one. Idles poorly, stalls, but can try to keep it running with fuel peddle, then cut off. Sound close?

Customer:

No, independent shop. Like I mentioned the truck runs with the fuel press maxed out. (Actuator disconnected) Yes It will run with partial pedal. I guess I'll order an actuator. Is there anything special about changing it?

Stonyman :

Nothing special about changing it, just three screws and connector. What you have described sounds like the one I just had in here, and seems to be what most of them do when they go bad. I hope I was helpful. If you need anything else let me know.

Stonyman, Ase Master Technician
Experience: Certified Ase Master, 23 years exp. Pa state and emissions lic. Specializing in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep