Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Dodge: crank sensor..rotor..coil when cranking have rpm at tach

Customer Question

2001 Dodge 1500 pickup 5.9 360[ no spark ]new crank sensor new pickup coil new cap new rotor new computer have noid flash have 7 10ths at coil when ignitoin on have constant power at coil when cranking have rpm at tach when cranking replaced wire harnesses from bulk head under hood still no spark check all voltages with solus and vantage says it should run [dealer installed computer]
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how it works. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Are there any codes in the computer?

Do you see engine rpm on your scanner when cranking the engine over?

Are the cam and crank sensors "in sync" when cranking the engine over?

DO the gauges seem to work ok with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no codes yes rpm on scanner yes cam and crank in sync gauges ok when key on
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
So there is injector pulse just no spark?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes injector pulse just no spark
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
If there is injector pulse but no spark, then this means that the ASD relay must be activating. If this is the case and you have no power to the coil, coils, when cranking the engine over, then chances are you just have a wiring issue from the asd relay to the fuel ignition coils. Either an open or a break in the wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have power to the coil when cranking none when not cranking with key just on swapped out both complete harnesses from running truck check asd with vantage checka out ok but with extended key on asd buzzes
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Oh.. so you have power to the coil just no spark when cranking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
have power to coil only when cranking
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Right... that is normal. The computer de energizes the ASD relay after turning the key on if the computer does not see engine rpm within a few seconds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the vehicle quit running after going 100 mph plus doe this have any bearing on whats happening

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
From what you are telling me about power to the ignition coil, no... again, this is normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any way to bypass test asd relay
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

Well, sure.. you could run power to the ignition coil straight from the battery. However, I would not recommend doing this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ve got this problem do you have any suggestions seems like were beateing around the bush what do you need to know to help me solve this no spark condition
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

I am just answering the questions you ask. I have not given you the correct answer because you are not asking the right question.