Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2005 dodge hemi 5.7 automatic Why does truck stall at stops?

2005 dodge hemi 5.7 automatic

Why does truck stall at stops?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how it works. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Are there any codes in the computer?

Do you have access to a scanner that can read live data?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No codes

No access to scanner unless I take it to Auto zone

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. You could have a bad IAC motor, THis is very common!

Also, sounds silly, but if the transmission fluid level is low, then this can cause your stalling too. Be sure the transmission fluid level is correct, low fluid level can cause torque converter clutch release problems. There is a TSB about this problem. It is TSB# XXXXX Verify the fluid level is normal, a low fluid level on this transmission can cause the torque converter clutch to disengage slowly. This transmission is very fussy with the fluid level and the level on the dipstick can vary greatly with transmission fluid temperature. Make sure the fluid level is Ok according to the transmission fluid temperature, see service information for the details.

Also, If you can get access to a scanner, Check the Clutch Volume Index (CVI) on all the clutch packs. On this transmission the normal values are as follows: L/R=45 to 134, 2C=25 to 85, O/D=30 to 100, 4C 30 to 85, U/D=30 to 100.

If all of that stuff checks out ok, you might just have a bad camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. These two are very common!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was under the iimpression that my hemi 5.7 does not have a IAC. Idle air control? If so I can't find it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
If it has one, it is located on the throttle body. If not, it is throttle by wire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will check fluid tomorrow when engine is cold then I will check hot.

There is a cover on the side of throttle body but is not acessible. Inside the plastic air intake housing between the air filter and throttle body is that a heat sensor or is that the IAC?

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

If it looks like this, then you have throttle by wire.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This exactly what it looks like. So there is no IAC. When scanner was hooked up to electronics under dash there were no codes. I will see where I can get access to a scanner to check CVI. Is this scanner only available at dealer?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
YES.. there are a lot of scanner. You can get them all over the place. Your local auto parts store might have access to a scanner that can read live data.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I'll try your suggestions.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

You bet!

Good luck!