Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2004 Ram 2500: Cummins Diesel..Wont start..#4 due to loose clamp

Customer Question

2004 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins Diesel Wont start....
I had a fuel leak on #4 due to loose clamp. I replaced the tube,and sprayed off motor with water as I have done many times before. It ran fine afterwards for about 15 minutes then I shut it down and plugged it in for the night.
Next morning started up perfectly and I took off. Got about 5 miles down the road and it began clattering and belching out white smoke then died and left me stranded. It started for about 5 seconds after that but never has since. It threw two codes p0541 and p0314 battery temp and camshaft sensor. got new Camshaft sensor. Installed it but it still will not start.Turns over fine, Acts like it is not getting fuel?Just replaced fuel filter.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  a dodgetech replied 5 years ago.
do you know if it is getting fuel to the filter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is I used the purge to prove that and it gets about 1 gallon a minute
P0541 is for air intake voltage low #1 That should not keep it from starting unless it is very cold. I cant find P0314b are you sure of that code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

your right the correct codes are P0341 and P0514 they are for battery temp and camshaft position sensor. I replace camshaft sensor and still wont start. checked voltage to camshaft sensor 5.63 volts .whats next?