Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

How do you replace the heater core in a 1997 dodge dakota?

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. You will first need to remove the dash and then discharge the refrigerant from the system, drain the cooling system, then remove the HVAC housing set it on a bench then open up the HVAC unit to replace the heater core. Are you up to a task like this? If so I can send you the procedure from the service manual. This is a very labor intensive job, and if you are not sure you want to take this on, then it is best to let a professional do this.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
please send procedure from service manual asap
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Ok, here is the procedure for you.

Chris

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
  2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  3. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide-bladed flat tool, gently pry along the edges of the right and left door sill trim to release the snap-clip retainers that secure it to the sill Cowl Side Trim Remove/Install Carefully disengage the ends of the sill trim from the cowl side trim at the front, and the B-pillar trim (standard cab) or quarter panel trim (club cab) at the rear, then remove the sill trim from the vehicle.
  4. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide-bladed flat tool, gently pry the left and right cowl side trim to release the snap-clip retainer that secures it to the door hinge pillar and remove it from the vehicle.
  5. Remove the steering column opening cover and knee blocker as described in this group.
  6. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  7. Unplug the driver side airbag module wire harness connector at the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  8. If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the tilt steering column lever.
  9. Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column Steering Column Shrouds - Typical
  10. Remove the lower fixed steering column shroud.
  11. Loosen the multi-function switch wire harness connector screw. The screw will remain in the wire harness connector. Unplug the multi-function switch wire harness connector Multi-Function Switch Connector - Typical
  12. Unplug the remaining steering column wire harness connectors Steering Column Connectors - Typical
  13. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector near the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  14. Remove the steering column. Refer to Steering for the service procedures.
  15. Remove the screw from the center of the bulkhead wire harness connector and unplug the connector.
  16. Unplug the two body wire harness connectors located next to the bulkhead wire harness connector.
  17. Unplug the three wire harness connectors located nearest to the dash panel from the junction block.
  18. Unsnap the plastic retainer clip from the park brake linkage rod at the back of the park brake release handle, and remove the rod end from the handle.
  19. Unplug the wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
  20. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the wire harness connector from the Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) brake module located on the inboard side of the pedal and steering column support brackets.
  21. Unplug the vacuum harness connector near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  22. Remove the instrument panel center support bracket as described on this group.
  23. Remove the screw that secures the wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) bracket on the floor pan transmission tunnel.
  24. Unplug the wire harness connector from the ACM.
  25. Remove the glove box as described in this group.
  26. Reach through the glove box opening to unplug the antenna coaxial cable connector.
  27. Release the antenna half of the coaxial cable from the retainer clip on the lower instrument panel near the outboard side of the glove box opening.
  28. Reach through the glove box opening to unplug the blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater-A/C support brace above the glove box opening.
  29. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the two wire harness connectors from the Infinity speaker amplifier on the right cowl side inner panel.
  30. Remove the nut that secures the radio ground wire harness eyelet to the stud on the right cowl side inner panel.
  31. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about two turns Instrument Panel Assembly Remove/Install
  32. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  33. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
  34. Pull the lower instrument panel outwards until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets Roll-Down Bracket
  35. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position:
    1. Unplug the two door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
    2. Unplug the wire harness connector at the blower motor resistor.
    3. Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip off of the blend-air door lever.
    4. Disconnect the demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  36. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.
  37. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting hardware as follows:
    • Instrument panel top to dash panel screws - 3 N·m (28 in. lbs.)
    • Instrument panel roll-down screws - 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)

REMOVAL HVAC HOUSING

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel assembly. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  3. If the vehicle is so equipped, recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system as described in this group.
  4. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the liquid line and the accumulator from the evaporator tubes as described in this group. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the open refrigerant fittings.
  5. Drain the cooling system and disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  6. Remove the four nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel Heater-A/C Housing Remove/Install
  7. Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
  8. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the condensate drain tube is positioned in the dash panel drain hole.
  2. Install the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the mounting brace nut to 11 N·m (95 in. lbs.)
  3. Install the four nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the heater-A/C mounting nuts to 7 N·m (60 in. lbs.)
  4. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  5. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug or remove the tape from all of the open refrigerant fittings. Connect the liquid line and the accumulator to the evaporator tubes as described in this group.
  6. If the vehicle is so equipped, evacuate and charge the refrigerant system as described in this group.
  7. Reinstall the instrument panel assembly. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  8. Connect the battery negative cable.
  9. Start the vehicle and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems

REMOVAL HEATER CORE

2. Remove the instrument panel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  3. Remove the heater-A/C housing as described in this group.
  4. Remove the heater-A/C housing cover as described in this group.
  5. Lift the heater core out of the heater-A/C housing Heater Core Remove/Install

INSTALLATION

1. Insert the heater core into the bottom of the heater-A/C housing.
  2. Install the heater-A/C housing cover as described in this group.
  3. Reinstall the heater-A/C housing as described in this group.
  4. Reinstall the instrument panel assembly in the vehicle. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  5. Connect the battery negative cable.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic