kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1985 Dodge Ramcharger: the ignition switch, that..dashboard..harness

I have a 1985 Dodge Ramcharger. The tilt steering column required replacement and I need a wiring diagram for the ignition switch, that is attached to the column, under the dashboard. The 2 columns I received thus far had blue switches, and the grey plugs did not line up to my vehicle harness. My switch block is green with 7 pins, and is a different size grey plug from the other 2 columns. I realize I can switch the blocks, but because of so much handling I want to make sure the connections are correct, so I don't burn the vehicle up, and my house with it, since it's in the garage. If someone can tell me where I can send to get the diagram, it would be most appreciated. I went to the local Dodge Parts guy today, and he didn't have anything that old in his library. Thanks !!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
What year and model trucks did the other column come from? Can you give me the vin number so can give you the correct pin outs for both switches?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The first steering column, (the non-tilt one), came out of an 86 pickup. The second one, (which is another tilt), was shipped in from somewhere in the country to my recycle people, so I don't know what it came out of. My vin # XXXXX:1B4GD12WXFS547782. Hope this helps.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
so the non tilt has the same ignition switch as the new tilt column?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the recent tilt column I received also had a blue block, that does not line up with the vehicle harness in my 85 Ramcharger. It appears that switching the block will not be a problem, as the actuator from the steering wheel gear shift still will line up with the slot in the green block. Because the block has been handled so much, just looking at the size of the pins in the block, it appears that possibly some of the wires are not where they belong, that's why I am asking for a wiring diagram, or someone being able to say to me that the blue wire/with the black trace goes to pin 13 and so on. Thanks.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

is this what you are looking for?

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I took so long. I had to go back in the garage to look at some things. The picture was great, so I'll do my best to clarify a bit more. Looking at the left side of the picture, the female pin side, my wires from top to bottom are these colors: blue/blk tracer; orange; blue; red; pink/blk tracer; dark blue/wht tracer; and the bottom wire is black. Hope this helps.Thanks for your due diligence. If you need to get back to me in the morning that will be fine. It's 12:48 am here, and I think I'll go to bed for now. I'll check in before noon tomorrow. Thanks again.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

See if this is what you need complete your project.

graphic

graphic

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q