brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2002 Dodge Ram 1500: Want to change auto trans fluid and filter

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab; 4.7 gas engine. Want to change auto trans fluid and filter. Unfortunately, the vehicle manual isn't very specific about type of transmission fluid and quantity required to refill after change.
Anything special about the filter and gasket I will need to know? Can it be obtained via aftermarket ( parts store)?
What type trans fluid, how much for refilling, and is there anything unique or special I need to know about this transmission before, during or after the change? I've done lots of Fords and GM transmissions in the past so it's not uncharted territory for me, but would like a heads up and any information
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. The seal for the filter is the only tricky part:INSTALLATION
  1. Install a new primary oil filter seal in the oil pump inlet bore. Seat the seal in the bore with the butt end of a hammer, or other suitable tool.
CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal MUST be fully installed flush against the oil pump body. DO NOT install the seal onto the filter neck and attempt to install the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to the transmission will result.
You want Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid and 11 pt. of the fluid to service it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I noted you said 11 PT--is that pints? is that all? Doesn't seem like much for transmission fluid and fliter.

I understand the seal installation directions. Anything in particular to watch for when removing the old seal?

Thanks..

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Yes pints. That is all that is needed when dropping the pan. No problem removing the seal that is straight forward.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I understand. 11 pints Mopar ATF +4 transmission fluid. Install seal flush with bore before installing filter.

I assume like other transmission pans, no gasket sealer is required and don't over tighten bolts?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Actually RTV sealant is recommended for the pan and Tighten bolts to 11.8 Nm (105 inch lbs.)
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. RTV sealant on pan, tighten bolts to 105 IN LB.

Gotcha..thanks

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
No worries......

Thanks