brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

Remove and replace the timing belt tensioner on a 2004 dodge stratus?

How do I remove and replace the timing belt tensioner on a 2004 dodge stratus?
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Here is information on the tensioner:

1. Remove the timing belt.

Remove timing belt idler pulley

1. Hold camshaft sprocket with Special Tool 6847 while removing bolt. Remove both cam sprockets.

Remove rear timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover from engine

1. Remove lower bolt attaching timing belt tensioner assembly to engine and remove tensioner as an assembly.

1. Align timing belt tensioner assembly to engine and install lower mounting bolt but do not tighten. To properly align tensioner assembly - install one of the engine bracket mounting bolts (M10) 5 to 7 turns into the tensioner's upper mounting location.
  2. Torque the tensioner's lower mounting bolt to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) . Remove the upper bolt used for tensioner alignment.
  3. Install rear timing belt cover and fasteners. Torque fasteners to values specified in (Fig. 116).
  4. Install timing belt idler pulley and torque mounting bolt to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.).
  5. Install camshaft sprockets. Use Special Tool 6847 to hold sprockets, torque bolts to 115 Nm (85 ft. lbs.) .
  6. Install the timing belt.