Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist

2000 dodge durango: / replaced power steering pump but new one

2000 dodge durango / replaced power steering pump but new one still growls when I turn wheel -suggestions on the problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, was the noise the original problem? you put new pump on and did the same?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
old pump growled and leaked / replace pump and growl still there when I turn wheel /
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
what type fluid are you using ? lmk thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
standard power steering fluid / NAPA
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Now, this is Dodge way to bleed air. It has to be followed. It is also possibel you will have to reat a few times. Also, the longer you let it sit with cap OFF, the better as to bleeding. The noise is most likely air. It can be tricky to remove

STANDARD PROCEDURE - POWER STEERING PUMP INITIAL OPERATION

WARNING: THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED WITH ENGINE OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING COMPONENTS.

CAUTION: Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.

Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature.

1. Turn steering wheel all the way to the left
  2. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two 2 minutes.
  3. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
  4. Slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock 20 times with the engine off while checking the fluid level.

NOTE: Vehicles with long return lines or oil coolers turn wheel 40 times.

1. Start the engine. With the engine idling maintain the fluid level.
  2. Lower the front wheels and let the engine idle for two minutes.
  3. Turn the steering wheel in both direction and verify power assist and quiet operation of the pump. If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure.

CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.

Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist