Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

Dodge Neon 1999 dodge neon dohc replaced water pump I forgot

1999 dodge neon dohc replaced water pump I forgot to bring no.1 cyl to top dead center before removing timing belt now I can,t get car to run I want instructions lining up everything fron scratch if you know what I mean I lined up cam marks to tdc and crank mark to tdc I couldn't get any compression from no.1 cyl
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me....

These are the instructions for the hydraulic tensioner equipped vehicles....

1. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.
  2. Place the tensioner into a vise and slowly compress the plunger

CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.

3. When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body install a pin through the body and plunger to retain plunger in place until tensioner is installed
  4. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC
  5. Set camshafts timing marks together by aligning notches on sprockets
  6. Rotate crankshaft 1/2 tooth counterclockwise from TDC
  7. Install timing belt in this direction. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner pulley
  8. Move crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up belt slack. Install tensioner to block but do not tighten fasteners.
  9. Using a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley apply 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) of torque to tensioner
  10. With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley move the tensioner up against the tensioner pulley bracket and tighten fasteners to 31 N·m (275 in. lbs.)
  11. Pull tensioner plunger pin. Pretension is correct when pin can be removed and installed freely.
  12. Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions and check the alignment of the timing marks
  13. Install front half of timing cover.
  14. Install engine mount bracket.
  15. Install power steering pump assembly.
  16. Install right engine mount. Refer to procedure outlined in this section.
  17. Remove jack from under engine.
  18. Install crankshaft damper using M12 1.75 x 150 mm bolt, washer, thrust bearing and nut from Special Tool 6792. Install crankshaft damper bolt and tighten to 142 N·m (105 ft. lbs.)
  19. Install accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System Accessory Drive section for procedure.
  20. Raise vehicle on hoist and install right inner splash shield.
  21. Lower vehicle and perform camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure as follows:
    • Step 1: Connect the DRB scan tool to the data link (diagnostic) connector. This connector is located in the passenger compartment; at the lower edge of instrument panel; near the steering column.
    • Step 2: Turn the ignition switch on and access the "miscellaneous" screen.
    • Step 3: Select re-learn cam/crank option and follow directions on DRB screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a scan tool to re learn timing will car not run if you don,t do this procedure everything you sent me I already did with the exception of using scan tool when you line up cam marks and then crank marks do you not have to find compression stroke for cyl 1
Ok, the scan tool use is not critical, so as long as the belt is correctly aligned you'll be fine.

If you have the sprockets lined up as described, then you are on the compression stroke, otherwise your cam marks would be 180 degrees out...........meaning they would be on the outside as opposed to the inside facing each other.