Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Dodge Caravan I have an oil leak in the front of my engine.

I have an oil leak in the front of my engine. I checked my oil pan and plug it is okay. I need to replace my front oil seal is it a big job. I know that I would have to remove the timing belt and all the componets to replace the front oil seal.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 years ago.
Hello, you are correct. You do need to start by at least removing the front timing cover. It could be a cam seal or crank seal.In either case, the t belt has to come off. Below is info to see if it is within your comfort level. It can be a bit of a job but not too bad, just a little tight working area. Sliding crank gear off and popping out seal and inserting new is not a problem at all. just getting to it

REMOVAL

Fig. 66

1. Raise vehicle and remove accessory drive belt splash shield (Fig. 66).
  2. Remove accessory drive belts.

Fig. 68

1. Remove crankshaft pulley and damper (Fig. 68).
  2. Support engine and remove right side engine mount.

Fig. 67

1. Remove engine support bracket (Fig. 67).
  2. Remove timing belt covers (Fig. 67).

Fig. 69

1. Mark belt running direction for installation (Fig. 69).

Fig. 71

1. Loosen timing belt tensioner bolt (Fig. 71) and remove timing belt.
  2. Remove crankshaft sprocket flange shield (Fig. 68).

CAMSHAFT SPROCKETS

To remove camshaft sprockets:

Fig. 70

1. Hold camshaft sprocket with Spanner Tool MB-990775. Loosen and remove bolt and washer (Fig. 70).
  2. Remove camshaft sprocket from camshaft.

To install camshaft sprockets:

1. Place camshaft sprocket on camshaft.
  2. Install bolt and washer to camshaft. Using Spanner Tool MB-990775, hold camshaft sprocket and torque bolt to 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.) (Fig. 70).

TIMING BELT TENSIONER

1. Install timing belt tensioner and tensioner spring.
  2. Hook spring upper end to water pump pin and lower end to tensioner bracket with hook out (Fig. 71).

Fig. 72

1. Turn timing belt tensioner counterclockwise full travel in adjustment slot and tighten bolt to temporarily hold this position (Fig. 72).

INSTALLATION

1. Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket and keep belt tight on tension side (Fig. 69). Install belt on the front (radiator side) camshaft sprocket. Install belt on the water pump pulley, rear camshaft sprocket and finally on the timing belt tensioner.
  2. Rotate the front camshaft sprocket in opposite direction to take up belt slack. Check that all timing marks are aligned (Fig. 69).
  3. Install crankshaft sprocket flange (Fig. 68).
  4. Loosen tensioner bolt and allow spring to tension timing belt.
  5. Turn crankshaft two full turns in clockwise direction. Turn smoothly and in clockwise direction ONLY.
  6. Align the timing marks on the sprockets and tighten the timing belt tensioner locking bolt to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.) torque.
  7. Install timing belt covers.
  8. Install engine support bracket.
  9. Install right side engine mount.
  10. Install crankshaft damper and pulleys (Fig. 68). Tighten damper center bolt to 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) .
  11. Install accessory drive belts.
  12. Install accessory drive belt splash shield (Fig. 66).