brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

97 dodge ram 1500: wont start..ran fine..sitting..a water pump on it

have a 97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 turns over but wont start. it ran fine but it was sitting for 6mos, waiting for me to put a water pump on it. installed water pump wont start.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Does the vehicle have fuel pressure? Does it have spark to the plugs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no spark. changed plugs,coil,cap,rotor,wires...not sure about fuel pressure but wont fire when spraying starting fluid into the throttle body.
Well lets start with spark since you know there is not any. Do you have voltage going to the coil when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure how to check that
Do you have a volt meter or a test light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Take the negative lead of the meter and put it on the negative terminal of the battery. Then take the positive lead and with the connector off the coil put it on one lead of the coil and crank the engine and see if there is voltage there. Then check the other wire to the coil the same way and see if either wire has voltage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ill check it be back in a few

ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

back,

had power on one side before i even turned the key but the otherside had no power at all

ok......That is correct. We have a couple more test to go to find the problem. Remove the connector on the crank sensor and with the key on see if getting 5 volts to terminal 1 of the connector. If so then hook the connector back up and in the back of the connector push in a paper clip to terminal 3 far enough so the paper clip touches the wire. Then hook the positive lead to the paper clip and the negative lead to the batter negative post or a good ground and crank the engine and see if there is voltage to the paper clip and if the voltage changes when cranking. The sensor is located on the top of cylinder block near the rear of right cylinder head.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you saying its located on top of the engine or down by the transmission. all i have is a test light
OK......it is at the back of the engine on top of the transmission and would need a volt meter to test it. With no spark and power to the coil and a new coil most likely the crank sensor or the cam sensor has failed but need to test them to know for sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i could borrow one from a friend and check it but that may take a day or two will i be able to contact you once i get one?
Sure just reply like you are now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i wait to accept the answer until then?
Up to you......Even after you ACCEPT the question will remain open and can reply and no additional charges so either way you prefer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great ill get back to you soon. thanks for your help
no worries........talk to ya later and have a great Christmas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hey, just cheaking to see if you where on. going to pick up a volt meter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>checked the one terminal and only got 3 volts with the key on.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just checking to see if you where online
You should have 5 volts. Did you have any voltage out of the sensor when cranking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI,

JUST WENT AHEAD AND REPLACED CRANK SENSOR BUT DIDNT WORK STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

THANKS,

The next most likely sensor to be the problem is the cam sensor (sensor in the distributor) and is checked just like the crank sensor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THAT IS WHAT I FIGURED THE CRANK SENSOR WAS A BEAR TO CHANGE. COULD IT BE ANYTHING ELSE BUT THE CAM SENSOR.
Yes could be an electrical problem or computer problem. I'm just having you start with the most common things that fail
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WHATS STRANGE IS THAT IT RAN FINE UNTIL THE WATER PUMP WENT OUT AND IT SAT FOR ABOUT 6MOS UNTIL I HAD TIME TO FIX IT AND NOW IT WONT FIRE. HOW TOUGH IS IT TO CHANGE CAM SENSOR? IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN CHECK FIRST TO MAKE SURE ITS THE CAM SENSOR?
Very easy to replace. To test you have to see if getting voltage to it and out of it like I explained for the crank sensor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

SHOUD IT BE 5VOLTS ALSO IN AND WHAT SHOULD IT BE OUT?

Yes 5 volts in and out will change when cranking so wont be a specific voltage
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

DOES IT HAVE 3 WIRES ALSO AND WHICH ONES DO I CHECK

Yes three wires. Check number 1 with the key on and number 3 while cranking

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

GREAT,

ILL GIVE IT A TRY, WILL YOU BE ON FOR AWHILE?

Yep I will be on for a while.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS
No worries.....Talk to ya in a few
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi,

same as the crank sensor. had 0.03 volts going in.

What voltage does the battery read?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was over 12 like 12.34
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
got booted
Ok. Well there is a problem then if only getting .03 volts. The sensors get the voltage from the powertrain control module. You need to check "A17" at the powertrain control module with the key on and tell me what the voltage is reading there.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what should it be 5volts?

Yes should be 5 volts. Trying to see now if the computer is at fault or the wiring .........
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

be right back

thanks

ok....make sure and test the voltage with the connectors still attached.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
back, cant test with connectors attached there is no way to tell what wire is a17 the wires go into the pigtail and turn you cant tell and you cant get a paper cip in the back of it because of the way the wires go into it. not connected the reading is .59
It has to be connected to test. Maybe something smaller like a needle or a safety pin would work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i new what color the wire was a17 i could check it easy through the wire but you cant tell what wire goes to what pin, is it possable to tell me what color of the wire that goes to a17? the wires go in and turn you cant even get to the back of the plug its all enclosed.
The wire is violet with a white stripe
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

great be back

thanks

ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same 0.03 volts
Have you checked all the fuses to make sure none are blown?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Then the problem is in the powertrain control module as it should be sending 5 volts to the sensors
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

where is that located? are you talking about the computer on the fire wall?

Yes the computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i havr another dodge same year same motor can i just change them and see if that fixes it
Yes see if that works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok be back in a few

thanks

sounds good
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THAT FIX IT.....THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP.
AWESOME!!!

Please click ACCEPT if we are done.

Thanks