Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience
14297198

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 How do you change original headlight bulbs

Customer Question

How do you change original headlight bulbs to H-13 blue on 2011 Dodge RAM 1500?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.

Hello, in order to change the bulbs you're going to need to remove the headlamp housings from the vehicle, here's the procedure to do that.

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2.Remove the four plastic push-in fasteners (1) that secure the upper radiator seal to the grille support and both fender ledges.
3.Remove the two plastic push-pin rivets (2) that secure the upper radiator seal to the radiator.
4.Remove the upper radiator seal from the vehicle.

graphic

NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the grille from the front of the vehicle to service the front lamp units. The illustration shows the grille removed only to assist in clearly identifying the locations of the front lamp unit mounting provisions.
5.Remove the screw (1) that secures the upper mounting tab of the front lamp unit (2) to the Front End Module (FEM) carrier (also known as the radiator closure) (4).
6.

Using a socket with a magnetic insert or with a small piece of butyl tape inserted, reach down between the grille and the FEM carrier to access, remove and retrieve the screw (3) that secures the lower mounting tab of the front lamp unit.

graphic

7.Remove the fastener that secures the tab at the bottom of the access panel (2) to the front of the front wheel house splash shield (1).
graphic

NOTE: The illustration shows the back of right front lamp unit and slide lock with the slide lock in the locked position.
8.Reach through the access opening (1) of the wheel house splash shield and lift the slide lock (3) upward far enough to disengage it from the lock post (2) integral to the back of the front lamp unit housing (4).

graphic

9.From the front of the vehicle, grasp the outboard edge of the front lamp unit firmly and pull it straight forward to disengage the ball stud (1) from the plastic grommet in the FEM carrier.

10.Pull the lamp away from the front of the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the two wire harness connections from the park/turn signal bulb socket (4) and either the headlamp bulb (2) on vehicles with dual headlamps, or from the headlamp pigtail wire harness on vehicles with quad headlamps (not shown).

11.Remove the front lamp unit from the vehicle.

graphic

Once you have the housing out you can swap over the bulbs and reinstall.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.