Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Temperature sensor bad on 2007 Dodge Charger

Customer Question

I own a 2007 Dodger Charge (2.7L Engine). There are numerous issues with it and I have gotten I diagnostic test and it said the temperature sensor is bad. Later, I ordered and replaced the sensor but it's still giving me problems. It cranks but won't turn over until I continuously step on the pedal; The engine and the lightening bolt light comes on; the temperature gauge needle almost goes to H; and it blows out cold air when I turn on the heat. How can I fix these problems?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....
I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

Do you happen to know the code number or numbers in the computer?

What kind of diagnostic equipment do you have?

Have you checked fuel pressure when it is not starting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not a tech but I work on my own car sometimes. I don't remember the code number and I got a free diagnostic test at Advanced Auto Parts in my area. I don't know how to check the fuel pressure when not starting.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Do you remember what the code was related to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it said the coolant temperature sensor was bad.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key on the on position?

Do you have reference voltage to the cam and crank sensors with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the engine and lightening bolt light.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
DO you know if you have communication with the ECM and or BCM on this vehicle with a scanner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have that equipment available
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok... The first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back. If so, then one of the sensors is bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But isn't this a cold start issue? I'm not getting any hot air as I turn on the heater.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Is this with the engine off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is when the engine is running
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
It sounds to me like this is going to be an issue with your HVAC unit or HVAC module. This might be because of the code in the computer or maybe a sensor that is being shorted out or is shorting out the BUS circuit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so part should you recommend me to order?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Right now I am just telling you what to check. WIth the little information you have provided me with, I cannot accurately come to a conclusion to give you a good answer. I need your assistance in working with me until we get or obtain the correct tests results in order to bring you to a conclusion.

Make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, so theirs a possibility of a short in the BUS unit?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES! It is possible!
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the accept!

If you get me the code number in the computer, I will be able to point you in the right direction more accurately.