Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

Dodge durango hello, i have a 1999 dodge durango. the security

i have a 1999 dodge durango. the security system is armed but my keyless remote fob broke and i now cannot disengage the alarm system. when i put the key in to start it the engine dies and the horn and lights go off. how can i turn the alarm system off without the keyless fob? my truck is stuck at my local ymca about a 30 minute walk away so any help would be grateful. i tried locking and unlocking the driver and passenger door to disable it and that did not work. i disconnected the battery and reconnected it and that did not work either. it is a stock manufacturer alarm system, not an aftermarket system. i really need my truck so i am bit stressed out please help. thanks!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

The only way to disarm the security system without a key fob is to unlock either front or liftgate using the key. If the system won't disarm with the key there isn't anything else you can do besides getting the vehicle to a shop and have them program another key oem key fob.

I wish there was an easy way to do this, but if your key doesn't disarm and you don't have another working key fob, you will have to get another key fob programed and all the key cylinders need to be checked to see if the switches are working and if they are, you might have a problem with the central timer module. The CTM controls the theft security system.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
isn't there a fuse that i can pull to shut off the security system or a wire to cut to disable it. i really don't even use the alarm so at this point i am up in arms with it. i really don't mind just unlocking my door with the key. i just need rid of this alarm so i can start my truck. isnt there a override button somewhere i can push to disable it. i don't have alot of money to spend at a shop to get this done and i really need my truck. i spent my last few dollars asking you this question so please help
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to disable this if you can't disarm it. These new vehicles are designed so you can't bypass the security system once it is enabled from new. I sure wish there was a way to disable the security system, but there isn't. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that's how these are.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i read somewhere about disconnecting the battery and then putting the key in the ignition and turning it foward and then reconnecting the battery. will this disable the alarm? thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Sometimes this can work if the CTM is locked up. You can try this a few ways.

Turn the key on, disconnect the battery for a minute, then re-connect the battery while the key is still on.

You can also try it the way you just said and see if this works. I can't say whether this will work, but it is definitely worth a try.

I can't say if the is a CTM issue or if the door key cylinder switches are all defective??

Let me know if this works, thanks and good luck!!