sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Code P0500? Speed Sensor Works

I have an dodge 2002 ram 1500. It has a code showing. P0500 I have checked the speed sencer and it works. I have traced the wire (orange/white) to the ECM. the signal is reaching ECM. Could this be the ECM that is bad? The speed odometer, cruise control, and the milage calculater do not work. Is there anything else after the ECM that it could be?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the vehicle speed message is reaching the PCM but the PCM isn't seeing it then it has to be an internal PCM problem or a poor connection on that wire in the connector. The P0500 sets when it doesn't see the input, and the cruise, speedometer and odometer aren't going to work without the speed signal either. If you are positive that the PCM has the vehicle speed signal making it there on the orange/white wire but it's not able to see it and the terminal is ok in the connector, then the PCM will need to be replaced.