Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician
17254274

1996 dodge dakota: cranks but no start,trys to when pedal is

Customer Question

1996 dodge dakota cranks but no start,trys to when pedal is to the floor but no start still
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

Daniel :

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. Please include everything. Thanks

Daniel :

Does it start with starter fluid?

Customer:

no

Daniel :

So its not getting spark

Customer:

it has spark, pulled a wire and verified

Customer:

and has fuel also

Daniel :

ok maybe air flow issue

Daniel :

brb

Customer:

wont start with air filter on or off

Daniel :

reviewing your system now. let me know if you see a security light on.

Customer:

at what point should I see it?

Customer:

just checked no security light

Daniel :

ok thanks and you do hear fuel pump run for a couple of second when you turn the key to on right?

Customer:

yes it does

Daniel :

Do you have any codes?

Customer:

as in check engine light?

Daniel :

yes

Customer:

no check engine light

Daniel :

ok thanks.

Daniel :

This is going to be between the map sensor and the idle air control, and Intake manifold air temperature sensor you will need to get it on a scanner to compare operation wave patterns with known good ones already programmed into scanners data. I would say its the map sensor but dont want you to throw parts at with out testing.

Customer:

where is the map sensor?

Daniel :

the map sesor is on the left hand side of throotlen

Customer:

we have a good parts truck and replaced the entire throttle body with no luck

Daniel :

sensors and all

Customer:

yes the part that bolts to the intake

Daniel :

and idle air control?

Customer:

where is that?

Daniel :

on the right hand side of throttle body

Customer:

2 vacuum lines coming off it?

Daniel :

no it has a connection coming off of it.

Customer:

that was replaced also, throttle body has 3 sensors, 1 front, one side and one back. All replaced

Daniel :

just a electrical one

Daniel :

the front is throttle position sensor.

Daniel :

after all this you may have a bad ground topcm or a bad pcm.

Customer:

any way to test the pcm?

Daniel :

its air fuel and spark and if all those are ok its wiring or pcm

Daniel :

you will have to test function from a scanner on vehicle.

Customer:

wheres the ground to check

Customer:

we had the computer on passenger side checked and its good whats the pcm?

Daniel :

your is grounded to the right fender

Customer:

ok

Daniel :

That would be it. I believe you need to get a full work up on your system you will have to have a scanner to perform this. I will have to guide you toward a half our scan at dealer. You dont want to through any more parts at it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

You can follow up with me even after accept. If you have any more question let me know. I know you have a tough issue with your truck but with todays computers on vehicles you need a computer to read the system.

Thanks Dan