Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Certified Dodge Diagnostic Technician
28531106

2001 Dodge Stratus: We have replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump relay

My husband has a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T. He was driving and the car just died. We have replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. The car is still not starting but it is turning over. I don't know what else to look at. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 3 years ago.

Leon Davidian,Sr. :

Welcome to JA

Leon Davidian,Sr. :

Before the Car died did the check engine light come on

Leon Davidian,Sr. :

Are you there

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 36 years Certified Dodge Diagnostic Technician
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
i will wait for an answer and we can continue on, Leon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I was doing some school work. No, the check engine light did not come on.

ok no problem

Do you have spark?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes there is spark.

cam sensor controls the fuel do you have fuel presure

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That I don't know. I have not checked the cam sensor or fuel pressure. I'm not an official mechanic...lol. Well, never officially trained. I'm not sure how to check the fuel pressure. I've never done that. I'm also relaying all of this to my husband who is in Missouri. I happen to be in Texas and he's not so mechanically inclined if you know what I mean.

Where is the car with you or husbend Where in MO I am here as well Rolla, MO

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is at Fort Leonard Wood and the car is with him. We are trying to get it running again so he can come home for Christmas break. He is a Corporal in the Army and is there for training. I haven't seen him in 2 months and need to get his car going so he can come home. Any info to get it going would be very appreciated!!!

I understand and St Roberts is not far from Rolla 22 miles

i am going to look into this a give you diagrams and stuff for him to check out i will be a while gathing this up so please hang on if you like, Leon

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will wait. Thanks so much!

does your son know if he hears a clicking sound when key is turned on?

and was the fuel pump done by him or repair shop?

If so what did they say on the no start?

i need i wish i was there to help bring him home i have all the tools to diagnose and wondering does he have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He heard a clicking noise before he replaced the fuel pump and he did it himself. He does not have a multimeter but he has a circuit tester. He said there are 4 wires coming from the fuel pump assembly. Green, green and red, large black, and small black. The green and red wire lights up very slightly and the green wire does not light up at all. We cannot take it to a repair shop because they cost a lot of money. Military does not pay a lot...

If he can Barrow a Multimeter this wil help me help him

He will need to check the mass airflow sensorgraphic

I need to know if Battery Voltage is present at the locaton specified, Leon

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Awesome diagrams! I have been looking for something like those everywhere! My husband will be doing these things tomorrow. He is already sleeping since he has to be up at 4am for P.T. Is there anything else that he should be looking at? You mentioned the fuel pressure and cam sensor earlier? Is he going to use the multimeter to check the cam sensor?

not at this time he too can tap on the Mas Air flow sensor as someone starts the car if it acts as though the car will start replace Mass Air flow snsor.

I will wait for the reading on Relay test to know which direction to go to. Until then Good night, Leon

I was Born in Dallas lived in Lubock for a while so-- Home to both TX and MO

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much. I will get in touch with you tomorrow. You have been so much help!
You Are Welcome, Leon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so the relay my husband replaced wasn't the fuel pump relay according to the diagram you sent me. Now his battery is dead so he is getting it charged today and buying the right relay. The cam sensor is getting power but he does not have a multimeter. I'm getting very stressed out with all of this and I'm about to just see if I can find a babysitter and drive up there and fix it myself. After the battery is charged he is going to check the volume air flow sensor. This is just very frustrating. He is supposed to be leaving this coming Saturday to come home for Christmas... I will let you know what happens after he replaces the correct relay and tests the volume air flow sensor. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me where the ASD relay is located? It's not labeled on the diagram you gave me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dying here!!! Have proposition!!! EmailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I am sorry do to the rules i am not allowed to email customers.

If the ASD were to not operate then you will not have spark --and you have spark, so yes the ASD does operate the fuel pump too, Though, we may have a ground or power wiring issue.

How did he mak out on the tests i perscribed?

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for that. I was not thinking. But the tests came out ok so I'm at a loss. We are gonna try and replace the fuel strainer next. I will let you know how that goes and get back to you. Thanks again!
ok Keep me posted, Leon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Car is still not running...ugh!
ok i am here What is the problem now?
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech