Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for 10 years, Been working in Dodge Dealerships since 1992
30952659

Four wheel drive not engaging in Dodge Ram. Help

Problem with four wheel drive not engaging when shifted into 4hi or 4low? Light not turning on dash like it would.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.

Roland :

Hello, just want to clarify that the shifter is moving into the four wheel drive and 4 low and you get the gear reduction when in 4 low. You do not get the four wheel drive light or the front axle engages?

JACUSTOMER-i1il8eym- :

Yes I do get the gear reduction when shifted into 4 low. I do not get the 4x4 drive light or front axles to engage.

Roland :

Can you look at the vacuum actuator on the front axle on the passenger side? There should be 2 vacuum lines that go to the actuator from the transfer case. The ears that the hoses go on rot off and will cause this concern. If the ears are rotted off you will need to replace the actuator and sometime the actuator will not come out of the aluminum house that bolts to the differential housing. Also the bolts for the housing are known to break off. The other thing that would cause this is also the metal line that go down the frame get bent and the lines melt against the catalytic converter. If you need more information please let me know.