Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

1999 dodge ram 1500: starting to shift hard..whats causing

my 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4wd auto is starting to shift hard. whats causing it to do this and what could i do to fix it.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Is it shifting hard in all of the gears? Shifting hard in up shifts and down shifts?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just hard when it goes up and in 1st thru 3rd gear

Ok, Then if it shifts hard in all the gears, then the main line pressure in the trans may be too high due to a stuck pressure regulator. You may also have a sticking governor pressure solenoid. On more thing to check is the software level in the PCM. There have been some software updates to address shifting concerns. Your dealer can connect their scan tool to your truck and update the software in the PCM if it is needed. Make sure your fluid level is at the proper spot on the dipstick. Make sure the truck is parked level, at operating temperature, and idling in Neutral (not Park).

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.