Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2002 Dodge truck: Oil pressure gage drops..Sending unit..oil pump

I have a 2002 Dodge truck, 4.7 V8 engine, Oil pressure gage drops to no pressure then comes up to first mark then will drop to 0 again and continues to do this. Sending unit has been changed. My question is what else would cause the oil pressure to be intermitting like this other than the oil pump?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. When the gauge drops, do you here the valve train get noisy due lack of oil pressure?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When the gauge drops there is no change in engine proformance or engine sounds

Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Ok, good. There is a PCM software update for this condition. You are probably not really loosing oil pressure. This is an electrical/software issue. Take your truck to the dealer and ask them yo update the PCM for you. They should be able to do this for under $100.00. Here is the TSB that discusses this issue, and I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

NUMBER: 18-029-01

GROUP: Vehicle

Performance

DATE: December 28, 2001

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. THE MDS2 MUST BE OPERATING

WITH CIS CD 2101 OR HIGHER, AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 18, 2002.

SUBJECT:

Multiple Vehicle Performance and Durability Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the JTEC Powertrain

Control Module (PCM) with new software (02Cal19D).

MODELS:

2002 DR Ram Truck

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 2002 (DR) RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED

WITH THE 3.7L, 4.7L OR 5.9L ENGINES.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some 2002 (DR) Ram Trucks equipped with the 3.7L, 4.7L or 5.9L engines

may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

1. Any of the trucks shown above may exhibit a condition wherein the oil

pressure gauge intermittently drops to zero.

NOTE: THERE IS NO RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE WHEN THIS OCCURS.

2. Any of the trucks shown above may exhibit a fuel gauge error that leads the customer to

believe the fuel level is lower than it actually is. This condition is most often noticed

when the customer is filling a fuel tank that is less than half full.

3. Some trucks equipped with the 4.7L engine may exhibit spark knock

at or near wide open throttle.

4. Some trucks equipped with the 4.7L engine may set an erroneous P0131 fault code

(1/1 Oxygen Sensor Voltage High) due to extended closed throttle engine operation at

higher than idle RPM (extended downhill coast). This change will cause the oxygen

sensor heaters to come on, eliminating the erroneous fault code.

5. Some trucks equipped with the 5.9L engine may exhibit a transmission

overheat condition when the vehicle has been under continual load conditions

(i.e. uphill towing). This software change will ensure torque converter lock

up in 3rd gear to help minimize the problem.

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech