Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do you replace a heater core in 1998 dodge durango

Customer Question

how do you replace a heater core in 1998 dodge durango
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, this is about an 8hr job as you will have to remove the entire dash to access the hvac housing, remove it and then split apart to remove the heater core. This also requires the evacuation of the AC refrigerent, which means that the AC system will have to be recharged afterwards with new refrigerent if you dont have the proper AC recycling machine that will evacuate the freon and then recharge with same freon.

INSTRUMENT PANEL:

Before beginning, be sure to turn the steering wheel so that the wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

CAUTION
On air bag-equipped vehicles, wait at least two minutes for the system to discharge before proceeding. Failure to take proper precautions could result in accidental deployment and possible personal injury.

1. Remove the trim from the right and left door sills.
  2. Remove the trim from the left and right cowl side inner panels.
  3. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
  4. Remove the screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
  5. Disconnect the driver side airbag module wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness at the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  6. Disconnect the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector, if equipped, from the instrument panel wire harness near the panel lower reinforcement.
  7. Remove the steering column from the vehicle complete with airbag, steering wheel and switches. Be sure that the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.
  8. Remove the screw from the center of the headlamp and dash to instrument panel bulkhead wire harness connector and disconnect the connector.
  9. Disconnect the two body wire harness connectors from the two instrument panel wire harness connectors that are secured to the outboard side of the instrument panel bulkhead connector.
  10. Disconnect the three wire harness connectors from the three junction block connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel.
  11. Unsnap the plastic retainer clip that secures the park brake release linkage rod to the lever on the back side of the park brake release handle and disengage the linkage rod from the lever on the handle.
  12. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch connector receptacle.
  13. Disconnect the vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  14. Remove the center support bracket from the instrument panel.
  15. Remove the screw that secures the instrument panel wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the ACM mount on the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  16. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the ACM connector receptacle.
  17. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
  18. Disconnect the radio antennae coaxial cable. Disconnect the cable from the clips.
  19. Disconnect the blower motor wire harness near the support brace on the inboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening.
  20. Disconnect the sound system wiring, if fitted.
  21. Remove the nut that secures the radio ground to the stud.
  22. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 1 / 4 in.
  23. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  24. Pull the lower instrument panel rearward, until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets.
  25. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 18 in. (46cm) from the dash panel.
  26. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position, disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
  27. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor connector receptacle on the dash panel.
  28. Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip of the blend-air door lever.
  29. Disconnect the demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  30. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Install the instrument panel assembly onto the roll-down bracket screws in the vehicle. Install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 18 in. from the dash panel.
  2. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position, reconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors to the door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
  3. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the blower motor resistor connector receptacle on the dash panel.
  4. Reconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer onto the top of the heater-A/C housing and push the cable core adjuster clip onto the blend-air door lever.
  5. Reconnect the demister duct flexible hose to the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  6. Push the lower instrument panel forward until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the installed slot position of both brackets.
  7. Remove the temporary hook from the instrument panel and roll the panel up to the installed position against the dash panel.
  8. Install and tighten the screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel. Tighten to 28 inch lbs. (3.2 Nm).
  9. Tighten the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws. Tighten the screws to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  10. If fitted, reconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors to the speaker amplifier connector receptacles on the right cowl side inner panel.
  11. Install and tighten the nut that secures the instrument panel wire harness radio ground eyelet to the stud.
  12. Reconnect the two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable.
  13. Engage the antenna half of the radio cable into the retainer clip near the outboard side of the lower instrument panel glove box opening.
  14. Reconnect the blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater-A/C housing support brace on the inboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening.
  15. Install the glove box onto the instrument panel.
  16. Install and tighten the screw that secures the instrument panel wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the ACM mount on the floor panel transmission tunnel. Tighten the screw to 30 inch lbs. (3.4 Nm).
  17. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the ACM connector receptacle.
  18. Install the center support bracket onto the instrument panel.
  19. Reconnect the headlamp and dash to the instrument panel bulkhead wire harness connector and tighten the screw in the center of the connector. Tighten to 31 inch lbs. (3.5 Nm).
  20. Reconnect the two body wire harness connectors to the two instrument panel wire harness connectors that are secured to the outboard side of the instrument panel bulkhead connector.
  21. Reconnect the three wire harness connectors to the junction block connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel.
  22. Engage the linkage rod into the lever on the back side of the park brake release handle and snap the plastic retainer clip over the linkage rod that secures it to the lever.
  23. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the stop lamp switch connector receptacle.
  24. Reconnect the vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  25. Install the steering column into the vehicle. Be sure that the steering wheel was locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.
  26. Reconnect the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector (if fitted) to the instrument panel wire harness near the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  27. Reconnect the driver side airbag module wire harness connector to the instrument panel wire harness at the panel lower reinforcement.
  28. Position the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  29. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  30. Install the steering column cover onto the instrument panel.
  31. Install the trim onto the left and right cowl side inner panels.
  32. Install the trim onto the right and left door sills.
  33. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

HOUSING:
  1. If the vehicle is equipped with A/C, recover the refrigerant. See "Note" above.
  2. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube.
  3. Disconnect the accumulator inlet tube.
  4. Drain the cooling system.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  6. Remove the nuts from the heater-A/C mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  7. Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dashboard.
  8. Pull the housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
  9. Remove the housing from the vehicle.
  10. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Heater-A/C housing

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Roll-down bracket-Dakota, Durango

HEATER CORE:

1. Lift the heater core out of the housing.
  2. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Heater core removal/installation

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise you need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, or any factory directions or diagrams provide until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button to pay expert, although you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a great day