moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 How do you set the ignition timing on a

How do you set the ignition timing on a 1999 Dodge 1500 5.2?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Base (Initial) Ignition timing is NOT adjustable on any engine. On this engines, do not attempt to adjust ignition timing by rotating the distributor.

All ignition timing functions are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The DRB scan tool may be used to verify base timing and electronic timing advance. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostics procedures for operation of the DRB Scan Tool.

Fuel synchronization can be verified and set by rotating the distributor.

moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
Expert:  moparfl replied 3 years ago.

CHECKING DISTRIBUTOR POSITION
To verify correct distributor rotational position, the DRB scan tool must be used.

WARNING: WHEN PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING TEST, THE ENGINE WILL BE RUNNING. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STAND IN LINE WITH THE FAN BLADES OR FAN BELT. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.

1. Connect DRB scan tool to data link connector. The data link connector is located in passenger compartment, below and to left of steering column.
  2. Gain access to SET SYNC screen on DRB.
  3. Follow directions on DRB screen and start engine. Bring to operating temperature (engine must be in "closed loop" mode).
  4. With engine running at idle speed , the words IN RANGE should appear on screen along with 0°. This indicates correct distributor position.
  5. If a plus (+) or a minus (-) is displayed next to degree number, and/or the degree displayed is not zero, loosen but do not remove distributor holddown clamp bolt. Rotate distributor until IN RANGE appears on screen. Continue to rotate distributor until achieving as close to 0°as possible. After adjustment, tighten clamp bolt to 22.5 Nm (200 in. lbs.) torque.

The degree scale on SET SYNC screen of DRB is referring to fuel synchronization only. It is not referring to ignition timing. Because of this, do not attempt to adjust ignition timing using this method. Rotating distributor will have no effect on ignition timing. All ignition timing values are controlled by powertrain control module (PCM).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is a PCM or a DRB Scan Tool?
Expert:  moparfl replied 3 years ago.
The PCM is the engine computer on your truck and the DRB is a handheld computer scan tool that is used to work on this computer system.