TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

2001 dodge: Cummins diesel..Replaced fuel transfer pump..hundred miles

Customer Question

Have 2001 dodge 2500 with Cummins diesel that does not start. Replaced fuel transfer pump and got it running for a couple hundred miles. Now will not start at all. When problem
started it would shut off at any given time, just like turning key off, not like running out of fuel. Then it would restart. Any idea of where to start trouble shooting?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 3 years ago.

hello, this sounds like a faulty crankshaft position sensor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Removed starter, there is no crankshaft sensor. Did replace camshaft sensor. It started and ran for about ten seconds then quit. When it started it did run a little rough. Now it cranks hard like if the timing was off like on a gas engine, but will not start. Batteries are okay and have been charged. Any thoughts?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still same problem with starting. Replaced second fuel transfer pump, unit started then shut off again after running about 30 minutes. If you bump engine a dfew times the pump will run and build pressure to start and engine will run for a while. Is there a module that controls the transfer pump? Starting to think it is not pump but a control problem.

Expert:  TIM replied 3 years ago.

OPERATION

The purpose of the fuel transfer pump is to supply (transfer) a low-pressure fuel source: from the fuel tank, through the fuel filter/water separator and to the fuel injection pump. Here, the low-pressure is raised to a high-pressure by the fuel injection pump for operation of the high-pressure fuel injectors. Check valves within the pump, control direction of fuel flow and prevent fuel bleed-back during engine shut down.

Normal current flow to the pump is 12 amperes.

With the engine running, the pump has 2 modes of operation: Mode 1: 100 percent duty-cycle with a minimum pressure of 10 psi except when the engine is cranking. Mode 2: 15 percent duty-cycle with maximum pressure of 7 psi with the engine cranking

The 15 percent duty-cycle is used to limit injection pump inlet pressure until the engine is running.

The transfer pump is self-priming: When the key is first turned on (without cranking engine), the pump will operate for approximately 1/4 second and then shut off. The pump will also operate for up to 25 seconds after the starter is engaged, and then disengaged and the engine is not running. The pump shuts off immediately if the key is on and the engine stops running.

The fuel volume of the transfer pump will always provide more fuel than the fuel injection pump requires. Excess fuel is returned from the injection pump through an overflow valve. The valve is located on the side of the injection pump graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the ECM the only thing that controls the transfer pump? Are they expensive and hard to replace? Any place else to look for a problem on the truck?
Expert:  TIM replied 3 years ago.

YES, THAT IS THE CONTROL DEVICE AND YES IT IS EXPENSIVE-- AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED BY THE DEALER BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE PROGRAMMED TO MATCH THE TRUCK-- AND I WOULD USE THE WIRING DIAGRAM TO TRACE OUT AND INSPECT THE WIRING,TIM

sorry just noticed caps on