Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

2003 dodge: towing I can run 2500 rpm..looses..stay running..pedal

I have a 2003 dodge 3500 diesel truck. When towing I can run 2500 rpm and then out of the blue the engine looses fuel. It will go down to below 2200 rpm and stay running as long as I let off the pedal so it can catch itself. I have changed the fuel filter and it still does the same. I also took the tank down to check the fuel pickup and it is clean. I removed the suction lines from the pump and blew air thru it to check to see if it had any restrictions and it was clear. I then drove the truck 300 miles at over 2200 rpm up to 2500 rpm which is 85mph and it ran fine. Then it started again doing the same starving to the engine after the 300 miles. Could this be the pressure switch on the fuel rail causing this? I find it hard to believe it's the fuel pump since it will run so long without a issue.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Most often this is caused by a faulty fuel transfer pump , Check the fuel pressure and for signs of air bubbles in the fuel delivery system. Bump the starter and release the key to the on position to cause the transfer pump to run for about 25 seconds. If the pressure is at least 10 PSI, and there are no air bubbles under these conditions, replace the fuel injection pump. If not at least 10 PSI, replace the fuel transfer pump, filter and the injection pump
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the part number I will need?
for which part?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
fuel transfer pump, filter and injection pump
The transfer pump cost approximately $350 the injection pump cost approximately $3000 From dodge . I would definitely shop around and online you can get a very good transfer pump for about $500 that will not go bad again and a rebuilt injection pump for about $1000 and save yourself will bundle of money try www.xtremediesel.com
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner