sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Dodge RAM 1500 How do you reset the theft-deterrent system

How do you reset the theft-deterrent system on a 2006 Dodge Ram?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What kind of problems are you having?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I used a spare key to start my truck and it started, but shut after a couple seconds. Then after an hour I tried to start the truck with the original key-fob key and it started, but shut down after a couple seconds. Then tried a third time and absolutely nothing happened.

Does the keyless entry still work or has it stopped?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, it doesn't work.

Ok great.

Your wireless control module (WCM) is locked up. This is the module in the steering column that communicates with a transponder chip in the key to allow the engine to start and run. It also acts as the keyless entry receiver.

Open the fuse box under the hood and find the IOD fuse. It will be in a white plastic holder that will allow it to be popped up and out of the box, but remain in position for quick re installation. Pop the fuse up for a minute and then put it back in and hopefully the truck will start right up. If the problem continues to happen then the WCM will need to be replaced.