Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

Dodge Charger SXT where on the engine is the vin number located

Customer Question

where on the engine is the vin number located in on a 3.5 HO Chrysler or Dodge
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me....

The engine identification number is XXXXX on the rear of engine block just below the left cylinder head.

graphic
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Again

I do not know if you got my second (related) question so I try again. (1st time I use the site)

I got a another engine from a car that only had 10k on the odometer on my extended warranty since the original engine was burning oil.

The "new" engine does not burn oil but makes this ticking noise sometimes which I heard found could be covered by recall # XXXXX having to do with #2 rod bearing.

I found two numbers on the back of the left cylinder bank, one stamped "59K01150" towards the side of the engine, and one dotted "5H650598" towards the center of the engine. There is also another stamped number "404" sligthly above and after the stamped. Is there a way to identify when the engine was built and if it is covered by the above recall or any other?

Anytime a recall is released it is based on the VIN of the vehicle. In other words the recall applies to the vehicle and not the component.

Since you have had a used engine installed, any potential recall would not apply unless it applies to the VIN of your particular vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK

So if there is a recall on my Car VIN# XXXXX would be effective regardless of the engine VIN?

Still I'd like to know if there was a recall on the car the engine comes from.Since it would help in identifying the noise regardless if the recall is effective or not. So is there a way to identify which car the engine comes from? And which of the numbers is the engine VIN?

I'd need the VIN of the vehicle the engine came from in order to tell you if the recall applied.

There are no numbers on the engine that will identify which vehicle it came out of since one particular engine can potentially fit in many different models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK

I'll check if I can get hold of the VIN# XXXXX the car and get back to you later.

Which of the numbers on the back of the engine is the engine VIN and does the numbers correspond to the car VIN i.e. is the engine VIN the same as the last numbers of the car VIN?

As I mentioned earlier.....There are no numbers on the engine that will identify which vehicle it came out of since one particular engine can potentially fit in many different models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But is the stamped or the dotted number the engine VIN?

If you don't know, just tell me.

That's all the info I have.....wish I could tell you more.