Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 99 dodge ram fuel system problem new fuel

Customer Question

99 dodge ram fuel system problem new fuel pump turn key on pump doesnt run or pump fuel what could be the problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, can you send more detailed info? why was pump replaced? same problem? what wires were fixed, what was wrong with them? as much info as you can so i can see if I can help. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we thought the pump was bad then discovered some bad wires in harness just before the tank along side the frame repaired them. what is the voltage to the pump suppose to be, on one wire we had 11.3 volts but no other wires had voltage.the gas gauge works! but not the pump is there a emergence switch some where on dodges?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
let me pull some diagrams and send. I will get back with you shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
The dark green/black wire to pump is the power wire for pump. It should have 12 volts + on it or battery voltage, The black wire at pump is the ground wire. The fuel pump power wire is powered up by the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse box. The PCM ( computer) grounds the fuel pump relay and the relay then sends out 12 volt+ directly to fule pump. There is no restet switch or safety rollover switch on the model/engine. If you do not have 12 volts on the Dk green/black wire while cranking, then you may have bad fule pump relay ior a problem with the PCM and the circuit indide that controls fule pump. I suppose a wiring problem from relay to pump is possibe since you said you found bad wires