Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 dodge durango: I recently replaced the front driveshaft.

I have a 2002 dodge durango with 120000 miles. I recently replaced the front driveshaft. Upon testing the 4x4 I am experiencing an extreem tighting when turning when in 4x4. It is especially bad in reverse. I am the orginal owner and have never had a problem with the 4x4 other than the drive shaft. I understand there is some wheel hopping when on dry pavement but this is extreem. It stops the vehicle and feels like something is going to snap it I put pressure on it. What do you think?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Did this problem just start after replacing the front drive shaft?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the problem started after replacing the front driveshaft. It drives well when going striaght forward, but turning is when I experience the extreem tentiion. It feels like if I push it something will break.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
SO you feel the drive shaft is the problem and not the transfer case or diff assembly??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think the driveshaft is fine. I think now that I can engage theXXXXX I am discovering another problem. I was thinking either the transfer case or diff assy myself. I was wondering if driving with the bad driveshaft cause other damage, or maybe it was there also and now that the driveshaft is repaired the other problem is now evident.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Yeah... that is what I am thinking too.

It is going to be in the front diff or the transfer case. You could try and remove the front drive shaft that goes to the front diff and take it for a spin and see if that takes care of this problem.