Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

Dodge Truck I am getting oil blowing out of the blow-by tube

I am getting oil blowing out of the blow-by tube on my 05 Cummins 5.9.What could be the reason?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I have seen this problem caused by a few different things like oil level too high, excessive blow by and the crankcase vent oil drain plugged.

The first thing I would do is check the oil level. Then smell the oil to see if it smells like there is diesel in the oil and check to see if the oil looks very thin. If the oil smells like diesel or feels thin, you will likely have diesel getting into the oil, which will cause the problem you are having. If diesel is getting into the oil, you likely have a cracked injector.

The next thing I would do is check to see how much blow by the engine has. Every engine will have blow by, but it shouldn't be excessive. The blow by tube is located on the left side of the engine near the starter and with the engine warmed up and idling you shouldn't see excessive smoke coming out of the tube. It is very hard to explain what is considered normal without seeing it. Excessive blow by is caused be worn rings, cylinder walls or pistons.

There is also a oil drain tube that goes from the crankcase breather on the valve cover to the engine block. The crankcase breather is supposed to separate the oil from the blow by and it should return back into the crankcase through this tube. If this small tube is plugged the oil will be forced out the crankcase tube near the starter.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.