Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

My truck stop running while i was driving? it will crank..full tank

Customer Question

why would my truck stop running while i was driving? it will crank over but not start. i have a full tank of gas.could it be my fuel pump or the brain? i dont know if i have a distributer or not. its a 1996 dodge 1500.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

When it quit, did it quit like turning off the key or did it start to lose power, backfire and then quit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
iwas just about to make a right turn and the motor just stopped . iwas going about 10 miles per hour
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you pull the coil wire out of the distributor(center terminal) and hold it 1/2 inch away from a good ground and see if there is spark when someone cranks the engine over?

If you have spark, put the coil wire back in and remove the air cleaner and see if you can start the engine by spraying starting fluid into the throttle body while someone cranks it over.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i willcheck and see if i can find the coil on the truck. the coil does not look the same as i am used to seeing .
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The coil is mounted to a bracket on the right front side of the engine. Trace the coil wire back to the rear of the engine and you will see the distributor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i will try to get the coil wire out but i have to walk down to the end of my street which is about 8 houses away. i am trying to get it closer right now . i may not be able to do much more tonight.it is to dark.i will have to talk to you when i get this done. how late do you accept e mail sorry i appreciate your patients. thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

There is no hurry, just reply when you have time and I will try and get back to you asap!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i took the coil wire out did not seem to get a spark so i changed the coil.still will not start will try the starting fluid thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

If you have no spark, the vehicle won't start on starting fluid, we will have to find the cause of the no start.

Have you checked all the fuses?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ihave afuse box under the hood on the drivers side.I found a 30 amp fuse that looks like it is blown. It says on the box engine control.Could that be the problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that will likely be the problem if the fuse is blown!

Install another one and see if it starts! If it doesn't start or started then quit again, check the fuse again. You must have a short somewhere to burn a fuse!

Let me know!

Thank you,

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Richard, it was a 4.00 fuse that was blown. The truck works fine now.You saved me a lot of money on a shop repair.If i have any more problems JUST will be the only people i talk to.THANKS AGAIN ,MICHAEL
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome Michael!! I am glad that was the problem(cheap fix) and you were able to get it back on the road.

If you ever need anymore help in the future, please feel free to contact Just Answer again.

Thank you,