quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler
17227360

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Little to no heat comes out

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Little to no heat comes out of the drivers side vents, whether in defrost or heat on floor or any mixture of the two. Full heat on passenger side. Replaced heater core 2 years ago, replaced the driver mode door, and still the same. Every mechanic I have had it to is stumped including the Dodge dealership. Any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
Hello, is your truck equipped with dual zone ? Is the coolant level
Full?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not dual zone and coolant is full.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
When you said that the doors were test and they worked, how were they tested?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure, was done at the Dodge dealership.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I think I know what's wrong with your truck. What you need is a blend door, the blend doors on these trucks are set up for dual zone and if the truck isn't equipped with dual zone then the two doors are connected together and controlled by one actuator. Unfortunately this means the dash and hvac box will need to come out to fix this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So is the blend door different from any of the other doors or would of this been one that was tested at the dealership?
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
The blend door controls hot and cold air. I think they may have tested it incorrectly by not knowing that in a single zone system the blend door is the same as a dual except for the fact that they are connected together inside the box and controlled by the same actuator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I will check with them first thing about this in the morning before I can accept your answer. If they did not do this then accept your answer, if they did this I will reply again. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
no problem, let me know, since you have it at a dealer if they say they know about the blend doors then have them try flushing the heater core because that is another thing that i have seen cause this as well, is a restriction in the heater core.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, talked with the service manager at length today. He assures me that the actuator is working correctly and they had previously flushed the heater core when they first had this in. This is the 6th time it has been in with out any luck. Not sure what is left to do.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
I would take your truck somewhere else, I don't doubt that the actuator works, it actually is obvious that it works if your getting full control on the one side. It sounds like your dealership is trying to take you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the 4th repair shop. I ended up at the Dodge dealer because no one else could figure it out. I thinks I may have to take it out of town.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, I agree an I think you going to have to ask
Them specifically to pull the dash and hvac housing and inspect the doors, id bet money they'll find a broken door.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have an appointment at a different dealership out of town next week.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
Let me know what they find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So at a Dodge dealer 40 miles away they changed the heater control panel(something about calibration?) and it works great. Cost was $130.00. Sure beats what they were telling me locally. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome, I'm glad you got it fixed, if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.