Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2001 dodge ram 1500: engine gets warm..about 10-15 miles..about 10 min

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 that keep stalling when engine gets warm. I will run for about 10-15 miles when when truck is warmed up it stalls. If I let it sit for about 10 min it will go again then stall again..Any Help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 6 years ago.

Will it stay in a no-start condition long enough for you to determine if it's fuel or ignition related?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure, when engien is warm, It also didn't want to start in park only in neutral after it stalled, we have had it in the shop for 9 days and they can not figure out what is wrong, until it gets warm it runs like it is brand new..only have 72,000 mile on it, but once it its warm it stalls.

The park/neutral issue will be separate form the stalling. Probably a faulty neutral safety switch.

It is crucial to test for both spark and fuel at the time it is stalling. I suspect this may be why they can't find anything unless it has stalled on them.

In the event it is losing both fuel pressure and ignition spark, it could be the ASD relay getting hot and losing contact. The ASD relay operates both the fuel pump and the ignition coil. I have included some info about it below so you can be more familiar with it and how it works. If they cant get it to stall, it may be worth it to just replace the relay and see what happens.

I don't know where the vehicle is being looked at, but the dealer can hook up a device that will record and store live data and tell what the problem is. They connect it then have you drive it until it stalls then take it back to them for the readings that were stored. Its kinda the hard way, but is needed when it won't stall on them.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Please don't forget to click on accept. You can always ask follow up questions even after you accept. Thanks!