Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4: new heater core..faulty..32 degrees..warm air

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4, the heater just is not putting out the heat like it should I have put a new heater core in and replaced the tempature sensure on the motor all was faulty, but when the tempature out side drops under 32 degrees I have to run the fan and the dial all the way just to get warm air not hot.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

Customer :

yea

AMEDEE :

Does both heater core hoses warm when this happens?

Customer :

yes both are hot

AMEDEE :

SO the problem is in the dash?

Customer :

yea

AMEDEE :

Ok.. have you checked the blend air door?

Customer :

yes last winter i actually left it open so it was a little warmer in the cab.

AMEDEE :

Ok... Remove the blend door actuator and see if the blend door can be moved by hand. If not, this may just be the problem

AMEDEE :

At the blend door actuator, test the wires. The Dark Blue wire should have battery voltage with the key "on". The Black/Light Green should be a ground. The Yellow/Orange wire should have varying voltage somewhere between 0 and 12 volts as the control head is turned from hot to cold and back again. If the voltage does not change, the control head is likely at fault.

If the voltage varies, then the actuator is likely at fault.

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer :

the blend door is the what lets you circulate the air in the cab right if so mine is just a green vacume line.

AMEDEE :

NO... the blend air door allows hot and cold air into the cab

AMEDEE :

Blending the hot and cold air

AMEDEE :

Make sense?

AMEDEE :

IF this door is broke or if this motor/actuator is bad, you may not get any hat because it is stuck on cold

Customer :

Oh . i already pulled that and made sure that nothing fell down there to restrict the door and made sure that the motor controlling the door was turning it.

AMEDEE :

Ok... good!

AMEDEE :

If the motor is turning back and forth like it should, then chances are the door might just be stuck

AMEDEE :

It chould be binding or just completleystuck in one position

AMEDEE :

causing your no heat situation

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Customer :

but when I had the motor off the door i moved it with my hand and it was moving great and I even played with the heat that way when the truck was running nothing changed.

AMEDEE :

Were you able to move the entire door or just part of the blend air door?

AMEDEE :

Did you have heat when you did this?

Customer :

the entire door . the heat situation did not change

AMEDEE :

Did you replace the heater core for this problem?

Customer :

part of that but the main problem was leaking antifreeze in the cab and fogging up my dash.

AMEDEE :

DId you have heat before replacing it?

Customer :

it was like it is now just warm when it below 32 out

AMEDEE :

How hot are the heater hoses?

AMEDEE :

Maybe your engine is not warm enough?

AMEDEE :

Maybe you need a T stat?

Customer :

I have played that game I put 3 thermastates in but thats how I found the temp sensure was bad. her temp is right where she needs to be

AMEDEE :

If the heater hose are hot and the heater core is as hot as the engine temp, then the probelm is just inside the dash

AMEDEE :

Hands down

AMEDEE :

If you cannot get heat by moving the door all the way over to the hot position

AMEDEE :

Then the dash will need to come apart to see what is going on

Customer :

could the evapoator core be messing with it at all

AMEDEE :

NO...

AMEDEE :

Check for an incorrect heater core - too thick causing airflow restriction - we have had some problems with some replacement heater cores. Be sure to use a part that meets all Original Equipment from Manufacturer specifications.

Customer :

really I never even thought about that. would there be a recall out

AMEDEE :

NO... only if the manufacture made the heater core wrong

AMEDEE :

THis is talking about aftermarket parts

AMEDEE :

Customer :

well I bought it from advance auto parts

AMEDEE :

Just be sure it is the same size

Customer :

ok thanks

AMEDEE :

You bet!

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector