George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 that has an anti-theft alarm system

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 that has an anti-theft alarm system on it. It appears to be an original but a dealer I have spoke to says it is after market. Either way, the story is.... I have lost the one and only original key to the truck (I purchased the truck from a used car dealer). I have had 2 non-programmable keys made and am able to get into the truck and able to start it, however, the alarm won't stop going off and I would like to know how to disable the alarm. Any suggestions? I am clueless as to where the system hookup is and the dealer doesn't seem to want to assist me. I am unable to get it to any dealer as it is parked in a garage and won't move with the alarm on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would REALLY like to be able to drive it!!! Thanks!

Hello I will help you with your question,

If this is an aftermarket alarm but you can start it you have two choices, disable the alarm yourself or drive it to a shop and for 1 hours labor they will pull the alarm out. If you then want to install another aftermarket alarm you can but to try to repair this one would be more trouble than it is worth.

Let me know what you mean when you say "the alarm is going off". Is it just making noise? Flashing the lights?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1st ... I don't know if this is an original or aftermarket... I said this in my original statement to you.

2nd ... I don't know how to disable the alarm... that's why I am on your site... I asked in my original statement HOW to disable it and my answer from you was "disable the alarm yourself or drive it to a shop and for 1 hours labor they will pull the alarm out." If I knew how to do that I wouldn't be on here! THIS IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT!!!

3rd... "The alarm going off"..... horn beeps, lights flash...

I will tell you how to disable this alarm but I need you to help me determine which type of alarm this is so that I can give you the best possible information.

You say you can start the engine but go on to say it is in a garage so I am trying to determine why you cannot drive this to a shop to have the alarm disabled.

I am not there to see so you have to be my eyes and ears, the dealer says this is not a factory alarm so you will have to go under the steering column and pull out all the wiring that is tied up with nylon wire or "zip ties".

You should find a black box a little larger than a deck of playing cards.

Let me know if you find this box and the jumble of wiring attached to it.

If so I will guide you how to remove the alarm and reconnect the starting system.

Have you tried unlocking, relocking and unlocking the drivers door?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok... I unlocked/locked/unlocked the drivers door. I was able to get in the truck without setting off the alarm. However, I tried to start it and the battery had died (this was the reason I was trying to use the truck... wanted to put a new battery on I and that is when I discovered I had lost the keyst). Anyway, I plugged the battery to a charger and re-tightened the cables. After doing so, the truck started by itself. No key... no nothing. Now I am unable to get the truck turned off without disconnecting the cable. The key in the ignition switch won't shut the truck off either. I found a black box under the steering column that has a LOT of yellow, red, white, blue cables attached to it. However, there is also a small black "box" if you will in the upper right-hand corner(on passenger side) of the windshield. It is only about a 1/2 inch wide and maybe 2 inches long that appears to run along the top of the windshield over to the driver's side and down into the dash at the base of dashboard.

The reason I can't get it to the shop is because it won't let me put the truck in gear without setting the alarm going off again.

OK it sounds like there is a remote start installed here, lock and unlock the drivers door again and try turning the engine off with the key.

Pull the black box and its wires out from under the column cutting the wire ties to get it out as far as possible without disconnecting any wires and see if there is a smaller square relay that the wiring from the box runs to. This is the relay that sends the start signal to the engine computer from the ignition switch and the remote starter.

There should be two wires from this relay that run to the black box and two more that each run to a yellow wire, cut at the yellow wire ends and join them with a crimp connector or solder and insulate the connection.

All the other wiring to the black box can be disconnected from the vehicle but see if there is a name, model number anything that will tell me whose alarm this is and what model. If I can get a brand and model I can get a wiring diagram to help you with the removal.

If you cannot get the engine to stop you can pull the auto shut down relay from the fuse panel and this will shut the engine off.

Click here for relay

This is a step by step process as I can't see how this was installed and every installation is different.

Do you still have the remote for this?

Does it have a name? Is it a remote start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The brand name appears to be Valet

Is this from the remote or the box? Are there any other model markings?

Did you get the engine stopped?

Do you have a remote?

Did you pull the wiring down from under the dash?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is the box. I do not have a remote or an original key to the truck. If I remember correctly, the remote (which is lost with the key) had Valet on it also.

Yes, I got the engine turned off by disconnecting the battery.

No I do NOT have a remote.

I have not pulled the wiring yet.... waiting on your opinion of the brand.

OK Valet makes several models so you will have to play this one as it goes, pull the box with the wiring and see if you can find a seperate relay. If you can then follow the wires from the relay to the box and out to (hopefully) yellow wires.

If this is what you find clip the yellow wires and reconnect them to each other. You should be able to disconnect the rest of the wiring from the box to the truck's harness from that point. There will be a ground wire run to a screw in a metal part of the dash so cut that at the screw and there will be another power wire run to the fuseblock or the battery so remove that at the source. The rest of the wires will go to wire taps that you can pull the wire out and leave the tap around the vehicle harness wire.

Let me know about the seperate relay and the yellow wires first.

Do not reconnect the battery until you find the yellow wires and disconnect them from the relay. There may be a clear egg shaped unit tied up this is a vibration sensor.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have the black box pulled out from under the dash. The model # XXXXX to be a 562T. I found that all of the wires running from the box run to fuses contained by BOSCH.

Is this factory or after market?

I don't see but 1 yellow wire.

This is a DEI Valet model 562T aftermarket alarm with remote start

The Bosch relay is what will run the starting, if only one of the wires runs to the yellow wire of the trucks harness and is tee'd into the yellow wire you can remove the wire. Ten yoou can remove all the wires that run from the black box to the trucks harness, fuse box and ground screw.

Click here for wires

This is what all the wires do and now that i have the model I will review the installation and see if there are any gotchas, you should be able to unplug the connectors from the black box and the truck should start normally with the key once you reconnect the battery and lock/unlock the drivers door.

Once you confirm that you can start the truck then go ahead and remove all the wiring connected to the truck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I now have the truck running without any alarms going off. I am also able to move it.

I would like to thank you for all of your time, effort and assistance with this matter. You have been very helpful.

Glad to help and you are now qualified to work at Best Buy installing alarms!!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and thank you for using JA!!