Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

my dodge dakota 98 windshield washer sprayer wont work. I

Customer Question

my dodge dakota 98 windshield washer sprayer won't work. I hear the pump humming, but no water squirts onto the windshield. For a while there I would hold the pump switch on and after a few seconds the water would squirt up. It took longer and longer to squirt up and eventually has quit altogether. If I need to replace a leaking or plugged line in the vent area below the windshield wipers how do I go about doing this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

AMEDEE :

HAve you cheded the lines from the reserviour to the squirters?

AMEDEE :

Do both squirters not work?

Customer :

from the reserve tank to the where the line goes up into the vent area...yes, but

AMEDEE :

Free of any obstructions?

AMEDEE :

Have you tried to blow air through?

AMEDEE :

To see if the lines are clear?

Customer :

both squirters do not work, so could the problem be where the water hose diverge?

AMEDEE :

YUP! It is possible!

Customer :

didn't try blowing air through

Customer :

how do I do that

AMEDEE :

I would pull off both lines at the squirtes and try using the squirters

Customer :

?

AMEDEE :

If windsheild washer solution comes out fast

AMEDEE :

THen the problem is both squirters

AMEDEE :

It is not uncommon to see both squirtes go bad

AMEDEE :

at the same time

AMEDEE :

If that does not work

AMEDEE :

THen just move you way back ot the reserviour tnak

AMEDEE :

one step at a time

AMEDEE :

each step use the squirters to see when they start working

AMEDEE :

By doing this, you will find your clog

AMEDEE :

If you go all the way back to the squirter motor

Customer :

do you mean blow into the squirters?

AMEDEE :

and still mo squirting coming out of the motor

AMEDEE :

YES.... But I use shop air

AMEDEE :

If you do not have shop air,

AMEDEE :

Then you cna try to blow in it

AMEDEE :

If you get all the way back to the squirter motor

AMEDEE :

and nothing is coiming out when squirting

Customer :

oh, I was imagining my big head laying on the windshield, hahaha

AMEDEE :

lol...

AMEDEE :

THen the squirter motor is bad and will need ot be replaced

AMEDEE :

Make sense?

Customer :

ok lets say that a line is clogged or the diverter thing is plugged how do I get into the vent area to replace them?

AMEDEE :

You can just run a new line

AMEDEE :

From the reserviour to the squirters

AMEDEE :

It cannot be that hard

AMEDEE :

These are made ot be replaced very easy

AMEDEE :

Make sense?

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer :

you are probably right, but pretend I am a moron here (lol) because the squirters come up by the windshield and go down in to the vent are that is hard to get to...

AMEDEE :

LEt me see if I have any pictures...

AMEDEE :

Hang on...

AMEDEE :

.

Cowl Plenum Cover/Grille Panel Weatherstrip
[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]158.67768595041323[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. .
Cowl Plenum Cover/Grille Panel Remove/Install
[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]173.91304347826087[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]
AMEDEE :

Ok.. that did not work...

AMEDEE :

Hang on.

AMEDEE :

Here it the procedure to replace the pump if you need it or even if you need to get access to it

AMEDEE :

REMOVAL

1. Remove the washer reservoir from the engine compartment. See Washer Reservoir in the Replacement for the procedures.
  2. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the barbed inlet nipple of the washer pump out of the rubber grommet seal in the reservoir. Care must be taken not to damage the reservoir.
  3. Remove the rubber grommet seal from the reservoir and discard.
  4. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Always use a new rubber grommet seal on the reservoir.
AMEDEE :

Does that help?

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to hit the "accept" button if you have found my answer helpful. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Customer :

Sorry AMEDEE your answer was not very helpful. The diagram was too small even when enlarged. I just called my brother and he came over took, off the black plastic grill, saw that the water diverter was leaking (just like I thought). We got a replacement and now it works fine. I have gotten good answers from justanswer.com in the past and was willing to hit Accept, but this time I honestly was more confused by your answer than helped. Here is a bit of advise even though your profile here says that you have been a member since 2005.

Customer :

Assume (but don't say it, of course) that we are idiots and therefore all answers must be explained in small step details. You skipped the detail about taking off the black plastic grill over the wipers and hoses next to the hood. You couldn't replace any hoses without taking this snap off piece of plastic no matter how "easy" you thought it was. Frankie

AMEDEE :

Frankie,

AMEDEE :

I told you how to check this step by step

AMEDEE :

I told you what to look for and hot to go about doing this

AMEDEE :

It just takes some common sense on your part

Customer :

Please re-read your step by step

AMEDEE :

All I can do is guide you through it

AMEDEE :

6:34 AM

one step at a time

6:34 AM

AMEDEE :

THese were the instructions.

AMEDEE :

Check each connection

AMEDEE :

Start at the squirters and work your way back to the squirter motor

AMEDEE :

You will find you prblem in doing this proccess