sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a loud humming noise when driving and it is worse while

I have a loud humming noise when driving and it is worse while turning. I did have damage on the front bumper so I thought it was from the air coming through the detachment of the bumper but it has gotten louder and sounds like the engine is straining but no indication of the engine under stress.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you've described a noisy wheel bearing. A noisy wheel bearing in the front while make a growling or humming noise that normally gets worse with higher vehicle speeds. When it's making the noise and you turn and it gets worse it's because you are loading the bearing that is making noise. Turning side to side puts more load on one bearing and decreases the load on the other, which causes the noise to change or come and go.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What should I ask the repair person to do or is this something that I could take care of myself?

They're going to need to drive it to listen to the noise and determine where it's coming from. In some cases a tech will also opt to run the vehicle on the hoist while using a stethoscope to listen to the bearings as they are spinning.

If you have the necessary tools to replace a wheel bearing and are comfortable with doing the repair then it's something you could do yourself.