brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Dodge stratus: sedan..replaced cam..cam sensor..car runs

Customer Question

p0344 dodge stratus 2.4 sedan, replaced cam sensor, checked wiring and still wont go away once car runs for about 45min. car jerks at 2500rpmwjile driving have to baby foot the gas pedal to accelerate
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Do you have a scan tool to watch the cam and crank sensor signals?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
just an obd11 code reader
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Make sure the magnet for the cam sensor is in good condition as a crack in the magnet will cause a problem. With it being an intermittent condition will be tough to find with out a scanner. Also grab the wiring while the engine is running and move it around to see if you can make the car stall as there may be a short or a bad connection
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have tried shacking wires. is the magnet in the sensor or on the shaft?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not trying to be difficult but those images look nothing like what im working with, are we talking about a camshaft sensor,or crankshaft sensor? my cam shaft is on the driver side of the valve cover
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The images are of the cam sensor magnet no the sensor itself. This is behind the sensor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
here is the sensor
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Camshaft-Position-Sensor/2003-Dodge-Stratus/_/N-jk8gxZ9gsn2?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=camshaft+sensor&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=239664_0_0_

will i mess up if i take the magnet off?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Correct that is the sensor and the magnet is behind it and the center bolt in the picture I sent holds it on. If you remove it just make sure when installing it you torque it back on. 30 in. lbs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
magnet looks good. ive read some stories about the cranshaft sensor and the throttle position sensor. i tested the thorttle sensor its good, whats your take on the crank sensor
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes the crank sensor could cause the problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ive had the car up on jack stands and secure running at 35mph for the past hour and it hasnt shown up. gonna take it off and drive around. the crank sensor is a bugger to get to any tip on how to remove if it gets to thaat piont.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
You definitely want to do it from under the vehicle. Here is some information on it.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise vehicle and support.

Register Here

1. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  2. Remove crankshaft sensor bolt.
  3. Remove the crankshaft sensor.

INSTALLATION - 4 CYLINDER

1. Install the crankshaft sensor.
  2. Install crankshaft sensor bolt and tighten.
  3. Connect the electrical connector.
  4. Lower vehicle.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it directly below the starter? the car hasnt set the code off yet afterrunning at 35mph for an hour on stands. do you think it matters whether its on the road pulling the weight of the car?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Normally heat is what makes them fail and when driving the engine will work harder and heat up more so yes it may have to be driver. Yes it is below the starter.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok will drive to work tonight then check back in morning if problem exist. confirm accept.
send me a response around 1030 fri morning to confirm
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
ok....sounds good.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
How did things turn out?