jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
16831211

Change the right front axle seal on a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4.

How do you change the right front axle seal on a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes it would have been best to have done it when doing the u-joint......Will need a special tool to install the seal.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the axle shaft seal from the differential housing with a long drift or punch. Be careful not to damage housing.
  2. Clean the inside perimeter of the differential housing with fine crocus cloth.

INSTALLATION

1. Apply a light film of oil to the inside lip of the new axle shaft seal

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. Install the inner axle seal. It may be necessary to substitute Installer C-3716-A for Installer C-3972-A on 216 FBI axles.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Brownjeff, do I reach through the axle tube to get to the seal or from inside the hog head? Can I possiably sub the special tool with a socket and long extension and tap it in? If not, do you have any ideas where I might be able to rent one?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes from inside and the tool will be needed. Many parts stores will rent the tool.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I had a pretty good ideal how to do it, I just wanted to be sure before I got into it. Thank you again, John
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No worries......

Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess the next time before I accept your answer, I will try what you say and see how much you don't tell.

Do you have to pull both axles out and then the hog head, and what is the torque on the four bolts that hold the hog head?

You have to understand that I'm a helicopter mechanic and nothing is done without a manual no matter how many times you've done the job before. I have done several Chevy front axles several years ago and many Dodges' and Chevy rear ends. This is my first time ever being inside a Dodge front end.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The four bolts are torqued at 80 ft. lbs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, by just giving me the torque, am I to assume that both axles and hog head have to be removed? Why didn't you tell me that before, when I asked how to change the seal?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Sorry.......

The seal for the axle can be replaced with out removing the hog head as you call it, but recommend using the tool
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
brownjeff, what is the problem getting a straight answer from you? Without removing the gear pack, gears, hog head, whatever you want to call it, how do you get the old seal out and how do you get the new one in? It doesnt come in and out through the axle tube does it? I cannot see how to get around and through the gears other than removing them. So, again I ask, how do you change the axle seal?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
I see you got a refund.......maybe another person here on the site can better help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks brownjeff, that's probably best since you don't know how to explain how to replace an axle seal. I don't know why you're such a smart _ _ _.
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with Dodge question.

I can send you detailed instructions, but first; does your dodge axle have a vacuum actuated axle disconnect on the right axle tube?

there are 2 types out there; one with the disconnect, and one straight without.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes,there is a vacuum actuator on the right axle tube.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
jeepmopar76/Denny,I jusat want to confirm that you are working on getting me an answer on my question about changing the right axle seal on my Dodge 4x4. Thank you, John
Yes I am at work, but I will get that too u after 5:00. Now to be clear, the gear lube is leaking out the end, where the axle shaft goes in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct Denny. I have already punched the old seal in but, How do you get it out of the tube?
You will have to remove the vacuum motor, ( 4 bolts), and pull it out through there. The new one will then go in through that hole. You will then need a tool to pull it into place. ( all-thread and washers )may do it in a pinch
Experience: 32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Denny, I'm sorry for being so long getting back to you. I don't know why brown jeff couldn't answer my question.I actually thought that the seal was farther in the tube than it was. Just a simple thing as asking about the vacuum motor and then telling me it was behind there and the job is done. Just a straight forward answer was all I needed. Thank you so much Denny.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Denny, I don't think that I ever gave you a positive responce after your help on Oct.12th. I hope that I'm not too late but, I wanted to say that you were very helpful and I appreciated your help, even more after having to deal with Brown Jeff. You are obviously very knowledgable. You first asked which axle I had before telling me what to do. I didn,t know the differance between the two available differentials. You made the repair so easy, without being an ass about it, thank you so much. If I ever need any more help with my Dodge, I will want you to help.

The special tool was not available anywhere. I went to our Dodge dealer here in town and asked them what they use and to see if I could rent their tool. They don't have the Dodge tool, they use a piece of all thread and a stack of washers. I did manage to fabricate my own tool with a piece of 1/2 inch all thread, and a couple of washers and two nuts. I welded the washers and one nut together and used a steel plate larger than the axle tube and the other nut on the other end. I had to grind the washer to the same size as the seal. I put the piece of all thread through the axle tube and put the seal and washer onto the all thread through the hole where I removed the vacuum actuator, then I put the plate and nut on the other end and tightened the nut until the seal was seated.

Once again, I want to thank you for your professionalism and your knowledge.

Thank You,

Great to hear u got it. Come back anytime!